If FreeCAD were a commercial package how much would it cost?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

If FreeCAD were a commercial package how much would it cost?

Post by TheMarkster »

Just wondering in an idle moment waiting for a compile to finish how much FreeCAD would cost if it were a commercial package. I don't have experience with other CAD packages, but I understand some of them are quite pricey, quite pricey indeed. Some of you do have experience with many commercial CAD softwares and so can make valid comparisons.

Include in the price estimate the fact you are also getting the source code, which I imagine would either be totally unavailable in most commercial packages at any price (unless you buy the company) or would add considerably to the price, if available. You're also buying a full site license and free lifetime upgrades.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: If FreeCAD were a commercial package how much would it cost?

Post by TheMarkster »

Evgeniy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:31 pm It wouldn't be FreeCAD anymore.
No, but would it be CheapCAD or ExpensiveCAD or ModestPriceCAD?
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I think I'd be very expensive. I'm working at a company with 18k+ employees. We're using Catia and for.example having only a few licenses to export to STEP and a few to export to STL. I don't know what we're getting charged.for.it but the CAD admins told me we're only using a few licenses because of the price tag. And this example is only about two export formats!
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

OK, let's imagine that FreeCAD is now distributed as a closed source proprietary software, for money.
In this world, do you consider FC had FOSS competitors or not?
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Priceless, and No!!

Both questions, one word answers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hello!

Between 5000$/€ and 8000$/€ per year. Also noted, that you must often buy a basis support fee and when you need that support, then you must pay every hour extra (and often the supports are useless). The support, what FreeCAD here in the Forum give, have an worth of 1000$/€ per year.

When someone say, it is less, then maybe because of the TechDraw (not the TNP!), which lacks some functions like a good format import/export or better OCCT shapes detections. Also note, that in FreeCAD you get all modules and in comercial software you must buy to the base mudules every module extra.

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

It wouldn't be FreeCAD anymore.
That's not really true, AFAIK it's meant to be Free as in freedom (libre), not free as in free beer (gratis)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:25 am That's not really true, AFAIK it's meant to be Free as in freedom (libre), not free as in free beer (gratis)
Alright, where's the free beer? ;)

I do not know the original history, which may well have some relationship to beer, but I suspect that both meanings were intended.

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:12 pm
adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:25 am That's not really true, AFAIK it's meant to be Free as in freedom (libre), not free as in free beer (gratis)
Alright, where's the free beer? ;)

I do not know the original history, which may well have some relationship to beer, but I suspect that both meanings were intended.

Gene
I've seen this phrase around the FOSS world for years...TBH it never made any sense to me. :mrgreen: :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

It will become FeeCAD without "r" letter.