[Arch/Draw/TechDraw] global style presets for line styles/patterns/weights, ways to improve

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
doia

Re: [Arch/Draw/TechDraw] global style presets for line styles/patterns/weights, ways to improve

Post by doia »

@carlopav thank you for your feedback. My own interest on global presets originates from the Draw/Arch/BIM area, that's why I initially posted it there.

Your outlined dev constraints are really a tough hill to climb, though I think some of them sound like a reluctance to progress. Not you personally, but the involved groups of different WB users. (Maybe that's one of the reasons the LinkStage split exists). But you are right, maybe it is best to start in a specific work bench and hope the feature spreads to other use cases.

My main motivation for this feature discussion is that I think, that any content related preset or customized setting, which is part of the created model/drawing, should
a) be part of the saved file to make it portable and
b) be centrally manageable to DRY

This are used line styles, dimensions styles, material settings, wall definitions or 3D descriptions of base parts (nuts and bolts) as opposed to themed App settings like color theme settings, arrangement of windows or position of toolbars.

---

There was a comment above which said in short, BIM doesn't need visual line setting, as BIM only works on the model. This is kind of naive IMHO, as in the work related fields I experience every day 3D and 2D are interconnected fields to describe, convey and aid in understanding the information of a model.

There are discussions here in GER on establishing digital building applications, where you just send in a BIM model for the application process. But this is a far away vision and in my view in the foreseeable future (20+ years at least) you will need some kind of 2D drawn information. And the very base of these are lines.

The ultimate promise of BIM is that you have a single model of a building and a change on this model propagates to all related documents/information, e.g. change the width of a door and all documents from statically calculations to drawings for the building application update as well. So IMHO any CAD/BIM app which takes itself seriously should strive to support this process of interconnected 3D and 2D information.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: [Arch/Draw/TechDraw] global style presets for line styles/patterns/weights, ways to improve

Post by thomas-neemann »

doia wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:56 am ....The ultimate promise of BIM is that you have a single model of a building and a change on this model propagates to all related documents/information, e.g. change the width of a door and all documents from statically calculations to drawings for the building application update as well. ....
it reminds me of CIM, it came up in the early 90s and is still a vision today

https://www.enzyklopaedie-der-wirtschaf ... ring-(CIM)
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
doia

Post by doia »

@thomas it completely is. Guess how many jealously references to the automotive industry and their tightly integrated/automated production chains (the term Industry 4.0 is on every BS bingo card) you get from building industry members on any BIM forum lately?
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

doia wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:32 am
i am of the opinion that geometrically the construction industry is already one step further than the automotiv industry with the ifc format, which also defines origin and orientation.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad