[Feature Request] Part Design - Vertically/Horizontally equidistant constraint

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

[Feature Request] Part Design - Vertically/Horizontally equidistant constraint

Post by leoheck »

This is an Idea for a new feature.

We have this awesome Symmetrical constraint. This is a great tool but it requires that the features align vertically and/or horizontally. So, I am thinking that we could have 2 new kind of symmetrical constraints for Vertical and Horizontal symmetries.

For instance, the Horizontal symmetry applies the same length on each side but it does not force the points to be in the same vertical place. The same happens for the Vertical symmetry that constraints the distance in the vertical movement and ignores the horizontal position of the points.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 77b198048a63f1e9ca15eef64c8042d599a14cf3
Python version: 3.9.5
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Last edited by leoheck on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Part Design - Vertical and Horizontal symmetry.

Post by chrisb »

I don't understand. That's how symmetry works now. It doesn't align things vertically nor horizontally. In the example the point in the middle uses symmetry:
Attachments
SnipScreenshot-eb5ba3.png
SnipScreenshot-eb5ba3.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

hmm, I am thinking something like this. In this case, I would like to have these 2 features equidistant to the vertical axis.

I can achieve that with 2 construction lines and an Equal constraint since we have this vertical axis high in the middle. And maybe one more construction line if we don't have this vertical line in the middle. But having such a feature would help keeping the Sketches clean.
Attachments
test1.FCStd
(6.12 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

leoheck wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:56 pm hmm, I am thinking something like this. In this case, I would like to have these 2 features equidistant to the vertical axis.
Add a point on y-axis, add symmetry:
Attachments
SnipScreenshot-77d2c6.png
SnipScreenshot-77d2c6.png (9.21 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Hmm, I did not know that, nice.

Then, don't you think that would be good to be able to click in the vertical line to active the same thing since the line has this vertical constraint?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

leoheck wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:22 pm Then, don't you think that would be good to be able to click in the vertical line to active the same thing since the line has this vertical constraint?
No.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved the topic.
(You have created quite some feature request among all your posts and should know that they go to the Open discussion forum.)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

leoheck wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:22 pm Then, don't you think that would be good to be able to click in the vertical line to active the same thing since the line has this vertical constraint?
I asked for exactly that operation to give symmetrical distances from the axis. It was politely explained that I was insane, so I dropped the idea. :?

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:50 pm
I asked for exactly that operation to give symmetrical distances from the axis. It was politely explained that I was insane, so I dropped the idea. :?

Gene
Hmm...I'm not sure what is being asked for IS symmetry. By definition symmetry is the same on either side of the "line of symmetry". So, for a line (L1) to be symmetric around another line (L2). The only time the condition can be met is when L1 is perpendicular to L2.

Now L1 being symmetric around a point (P1) is different, because the line of symmetry is perpendicular to L1. In this case the line L1 can have it's vertexes in any orientation, the vector between the vertexes (L1) can be equal distance around P1, but L1 is perpendicular to the line of symmetry.

My point is, I think what is being described is a equal distance constraint with selection of the distance being horizontal/vertical/both.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I'm going to have to agree that I don't see the benefit or even fully understand the specific problem you're attempting to address.

FreeCAD truly is like a giant swiss-army knife of tools. Almost to the point of excess, thankfully they are relatively compartmentalized through the workbench system. As I already stated I'm not 100% sure I fully understand what problem you're trying to solve here, it sounds like perhaps you're looking more for a convenience feature? The sketcher is already incredibly feature rich, I'm not sure it would benefit from more 'stuff' in this instance.
Last edited by obelisk79 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.