[Feature Request] Search field for AddonManager

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Search field for AddonManager

Post by chennes »

This is going to be an iterative process: not all changes at once, but incremental improvements over time. This biggest change is that I hope to be rolling out a metadata format soon that will give the Add-on Manager more information about each add-on, without downloading the entire package. That will happen first for a new type of add-on called a "Preference Pack" -- after extensive testing and feedback there, we'll start to back port the metadata to existing add-ons, and then the add-on manager interface will be due for a larger overhaul.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
marcin86

Post by marcin86 »

chennes wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:42 pm This is going to be an iterative process: not all changes at once, but incremental improvements over time. This biggest change is that I hope to be rolling out a metadata format soon that will give the Add-on Manager more information about each add-on, without downloading the entire package. That will happen first for a new type of add-on called a "Preference Pack" -- after extensive testing and feedback there, we'll start to back port the metadata to existing add-ons, and then the add-on manager interface will be due for a larger overhaul.
It will be nice if I could just install Freecad-weekly bulid and chose:
package: Mechanical FEM
ux: modernUX 4row with text.

Thank for you for good job and all community Freecad! Have nice evening!

and one more thing / feature (it's not that important):
it will be nice when you open first time Freecad / weekly build it will pop out: Addon manager / Package window :)
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Maybe add a checkbox next to the line edit to enable interpretation of the filter as a regular expression. Alternatively, begin the string with some symbol like $ or #, which gets dropped, but which indicates the filter is a regular expression.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

What if it's just always a regex? The matching is done via an "if any part of this string matches" method, so if you just enter some simple text it will work as expected, but if you break out the punctuation it will work as a regex.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

chennes wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:23 am What if it's just always a regex?
Yes, please. I came here to say this. It could use regexp by default.
I don't see people having to type special characters very often.

For instance, initially, it would be enough to search substrings in the workbench/macro names. After, it could look inside the package description. I don't think it is a good idea or even possible to use special/reserved characters inside in workbench and macros names.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I could use some testers for this new iteration on the Addon Manager: see https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=542581 -- I've added the search field as we discussed, and made it always use a regex. In my testing this works very well, though if the regex is complicated the interface feels a little sluggish to me.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

chennes wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:19 am I could use some testers for this new iteration on the Addon Manager: see https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=542581 -- I've added the search field as we discussed, and made it always use a regex. In my testing this works very well, though if the regex is complicated the interface feels a little sluggish to me.
Hey, I am not sure if people will put very complicated regex there.

I will use like this:

Input field: spring <===== and also please, make it ignore the case sensitiveness here since it is is not important.

Then in the result field, I want to see something like this:
my_custom_spring
FCSpringyfy
Springfield
Springs
Springs_Macro
Workbench Spring
Last edited by leoheck on Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

leoheck wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:19 pm Then in the result field, I want to see something like this:
Yes, that's exactly how it works. And yes, it is case-insensitive.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

chennes wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:32 pm Yes, that's exactly how it works. And yes, it is case-insensitive.
Yay, then you are the man! Looking further to test it. Do you have any tutorials to speed up things here?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

leoheck wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:50 pm Yay, then you are the man! Looking further to test it. Do you have any tutorials to speed up things here?
If you are looking for information on how to compile a PR, a good place to start is the general wiki page on compiling FreeCAD: https://wiki.freecad.org/Compiling

Then, to check out this PR, you can:

Code: Select all

git fetch origin pull/5131/head:pr/5131
git checkout pr/5131
... or you can wait for me to merge it and test the Weekly (probably not this week's, but maybe next)
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System