Topological Naming & Sketches on Faces

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
K0DPW

Re: Topological Naming & Sketches on Faces

Post by K0DPW »

Thanks all for your responses - I have fiddled around with FreeCAD in the past, then dropped it, now getting active again.

I guess the general concensus is to switch to realthunder's version.

I'll play with it for a while.
Universal definition of truth applicable to ALL disciplines:

"Truth Does Not Contradict Itself"
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

K0DPW wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 pm Thanks all for your responses - I have fiddled around with FreeCAD in the past, then dropped it, now getting active again.

I guess the general concensus is to switch to realthunder's version.

I'll play with it for a while.
I test things there, I even compile it regularly.

I've found no reason to use it in my daily work.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Zolko wrote

K0DPW wrote: ↑Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:36 am
The work around seems to be to always manually create a datum plane equal to the face.

the opposite: create first the datum plane where you want later the face to be, and make the pad up-to the datum plane. You can even put the plane at angle and it'll work. No toponaming problem and fully parametric.
I tried that approach and when I edited an early feature the datum plane got thrown about. Is there another thread where this is discussed at length?
Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You should work through the Basic Attachment Tutorial.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

freedman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:41 pm
Zolko wrote
the opposite: create first the datum plane where you want later the face to be, and make the pad up-to the datum plane.
I tried that approach and when I edited an early feature the datum plane got thrown about.
you have to create the datums referenced to other datums, not to some previously generated geometry. Datums are not magic.

What I do is to build my models using datums and sketches (what are often called "master sketches"), as these are (quite) immune to the TNP. I only do the geometrical design after this. This of course forces you to prepare your design harder as with the go-along-as-it-goes approach where you make up your mind on the CAD model. Actually, I always do my design first on paper before touching a CAD system.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here