add forum links within freecad with error messages?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rek

add forum links within freecad with error messages?

Post by rek »

hi,

what if the most common 'syntax error' messages in freecad had links to forum posts that cleanly and neatly solved the most common end-user mistakes which would tend to create that error?

maybe it exists already in which case "great minds think alike" or "d'oh i need to learn how to read"

but just thinking out loud here hope its alright.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: add forum links within freecad with error messages?

Post by drmacro »

rek wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:09 pm hi,

what if the most common 'syntax error' messages in freecad had links to forum posts that cleanly and neatly solved the most common end-user mistakes which would tend to create that error?

maybe it exists already in which case "great minds think alike" or "d'oh i need to learn how to read"

but just thinking out loud here hope its alright.
I would think links to appropriate wiki pages would be more apropos and more likely to have "cleanly and neatly solved the most common end-user mistakes" information.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I think adding something like that to the code would be close to impossible. There is no synchronism between what is on the forum/wiki with code releases. The forum is essentially uncontrolled, and the wiki is easily changed as well.

The best solutions change with time.

A generic "see the documentation" would be more or less useless and probably quite annoying.
rek wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:09 pm just thinking out loud here hope its alright.
That is what the forum is for.

Gene
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Could you give us some examples?