[SOLVED] New window feature help

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
however

[SOLVED] New window feature help

Post by however »

Hi again,

as a continuation of my last topic
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6294#p50456
which eventually turned in to a architecture development topic (I changed the title of the post to "Building 0.14 on Slackware 14.1 (32b)") I still have problems with the new window feature.

Still watching the same video (as apparently, it is the only vid available on home design) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=331N7aBSLsU and despite being in french (which I dont' t speak) I managed to create a cpl of openings which should be windows. All good so far.

Now, I am trying to add a fixed window style like the guy does at 7.37''. I managed to have a window added on to the project however, unlike the guy does, when I drag the window on a wall of my choice and click to add it, the window gets placed randomly within the 3D plane axis. Tried several times and every time the window gets placed in different random places.

Since, I believe it to be an 'unstable' release, I was wondering whether this is a known bug, or maybe I am missing something.

Project below for scrutiny. The window should have been placed on the back wall and not in front where a large glass door is meant to be placed shortly.

Any help/suggestion would be welcome.

Regards,
Attachments
forum_test.fcstd
(33.52 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Last edited by however on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Slackware 14.1 32b and FreeCAD 0.14
however

Re: New window feature help

Post by however »

Hi,

this might be of help to the developers.

After playing around for a while, It seems that the window feature is a little buggy (at least on Slackware).
Each component' placement, outerframe, door and window size has to be removed and recreated as the automatic option does not seem to work (again, at least on Slackware).
Below is the 'Components' part I am referring to:
freecad_snapshot6.jpg
freecad_snapshot6.jpg (22.23 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
I hope that this will help the developers or any other FreeCAD newbie, like me.

Regards,
triplus
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] New window feature help

Post by triplus »

Try again but this time enable passive snap option in snap toolbar.
however

Post by however »

Hi triplus,

first of all I would like to thank you for your interest and help.

Secondly, I apologies for marking the post as [SOLVED] even though it really wasn't. I thought I had worked around the problem.

However,
triplus wrote:Try again but this time enable passive snap option in snap toolbar.
Marking passive snap on/off it doesn't make any difference; I still have to adjust the window placement by changing 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' coordinates manually. To add more frustrations, it seems that the components window does not update new values, so I have to delete an/all entries and recreate them accordingly..

Hope this helps.

Regards,
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Your attached .FCstd file does not work without issues on my side. There is probabyl different unit setting or something and i didn't investigate that part.

What i did is i tried procedure on simple wall i created myself. I created two point line ((10000 mm = 10 meters long) and used Wall Tool on it with default settings.

If i did not check passive snap option in snap toolbar when inserting Window Preset i got result you are seeing. If i checked that it worked like expected.

I suggest for you to try the same procedure (create a simple wall) and try inserting one of Window Presets. If it will work as expected then re-think what you did differently in your first attempt regarding walls compared to simple wall where it worked fine.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I'm not sure what is wrong in your attached file, except that the windows are at a random location.
But you can always correct things after creation, it's even often easier than place it at the correct location right from the start (Yeah, the creation tool is still very clumsy)

Basically, you must first make sure your window belongs to the correct wall (by editing the wall, the windows must appear in its "Subtractions" group). You can always change that, remove a window from a wall and attribute it to another wall if needed.

From what I see in your file, this is OK already.

Then, you can move your window to its correct location with the Draft move tool ,or simply by editing its placement. The "hole" that the windows creates in the wall will update automatically. I just tested with your file, this works correctly too.

Actually if snapping new windows gives you problems, you can always do this:

- create your window without snapping to anything, just "in the void"
- select the window, CTRL+select the wall, press the Draft Remove button
- check that the window moved under the correct wall in the tree view
- move your window to the correct position
however

Post by however »

HI All,

it seems that the problem must be my old (ish) computer that goes ballistic when trying to compute all these 3D measurements.

I have tried as you both suggested and the preset wall seems to be selected however the window/door gets placed elsewhere.

As mentioned above, I found how to work around this problem, just by setting the X.Y and Z coordinates manually; however the Components details-window still doesn not respond to any changes that I make to Label, Thickness, OffeSet, etc.

I guess I should remark this post as SOLVED, as it might be might poor aged box unable to cope with your new machines, (it might be a good excuse to send father xmas a letter wishing for a new laptop :D )

Thanks a bunch.

Regards,
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I am not sure how low-performance hardware could be the issue you are having. That would probably only take it a bit longer to complete the task?

If crating simple wall as described and placing preset window on it with passive snap set to on does not work i am not sure what is the issue you are having but i doubt it comes down to old hardware being used.
however

Post by however »

Ok then,

how do you explain this?

I'll explain just to be sure. When placing a door on a wall it seems that the door has a tail, cos it takes over also the wall behind, (I hope that your computer shows exactly like mine, otherwise, it'll be very embarrassing)

Thnnx
Attachments
test.fcstd
(96.05 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

however wrote:however the Components details-window still doesn not respond to any changes that I make to Label, Thickness, OffeSet, etc.
Hm indeed, I see that too now. There is a bug there because of the switch to the new Units system. Please be a little patient, there are several issues with that new system that I need to solve... but I'll fix that ASAP.