Sketcher notes?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Sketcher notes?

Post by drmacro »

Had a chat with a guy on another platform about putting notes in a sketch.

Not as geometry, but, as annotations vsible only in the sketch.

I've never actually found a need.

But, is it possible already and I've never stumbled on it?

Would be something that could be added is it was thought useful?
abdullah wrote: pinged by pinger macro
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
M4x
Veteran

Re: Sketcher notes?

Post by M4x »

To my knowledge that's not possible at the moment. But it was discussed in the past. The start tab has a place to put notes but of course that's not the same and it's specific to your FreeCAD instance.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

drmacro wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:43 pm Would be something that could be added is it was thought useful?
Is it possible to add it? Sure.

Would it be useful? I do not know. I do not do very complex parts, so I do not have the need. But it might be different for power users with hundreds of sketches. Maybe for a master sketch?

The great thing is that we have lots of those people here... they know much better than I do :)
jonasb

Post by jonasb »

I never missed some general purpose annotation, i.e. a block of text, to be placed somewhere in the drawing area.

However, what I would find useful is to add some explanations on individual constraints. Currently I can give them a speaking name, which is already great. But from time to time I'd like to add a bit more info about the why, for my future self. I made a quick mock:
Notes-on-constraints-fake.png
Notes-on-constraints-fake.png (45.41 KiB) Viewed 712 times
The presents of such notes could be displayed with a little "(i)" beside the constraint in the drawing area and/or task panel, unveiling the text on mouse-over like a tool tip.

When dealing with "hundreds of sketches" I assume the "Label2"-Property, aka "Description" in the tree, would be more useful than annotations only visible when editing a sketch... but I've never been such a power user.