[SOLVED] Partition Walls

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
however

[SOLVED] Partition Walls

Post by however »

Hi again,

as a continuation of my last post, I think that there either must be a problem with inserting windows/door to an partition wall without the wall, or surface, behind being affected, or I have not done my homework correctly (if that is the case, please forgive me as I'm a newbie with FreeCAD).
So, my work around this is to create a rectangular main wall and then attach another open area, i.e. a toilet.
However, when I join the areas the points of wall intersection don't fuse as a continuous one like before, but rather show the intersection lines.
Is there a way to join/fuse these lines/walls so that it shows as a continuous surface?

Regards,
Attachments
garage.fcstd
(16.6 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Last edited by however on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slackware 14.1 32b and FreeCAD 0.14
yorik
Founder

Re: Partition Walls

Post by yorik »

I am not sure what is your problem with the windows, in your file all looks ok...
To merge two wall objects, you have several choices:

- Select one wall, CTRL+select the other, and press the "Arch Add" button. In your file, that doesn't work well, not sure why...
- Select the two walls, then Arch->Utilities->Merge walls. This only works if the walls have the same width and height. It joins the underlying sketches into one, then rebuilds the wall. In your case this creates a kind of "loop" that doesn't work too well.

I would suggest you to model differently, and make one continuous sketch for the exterior wall, then separate segments for the interior walls, and add them to the main wall. I made an example on your file...
Attachments
garage.fcstd
(29.27 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
however

Post by however »

HI yorik,
yorik wrote:To merge two wall objects, you have several choices:
you only listed two choices neither of which work, as you noticed yourself.
Select one wall, CTRL+select the other, and press the "Arch Add" button. In your file, that doesn't work well, not sure why...
I don;t see any Arch-> Add button (unless you meant "Add Components" button
freecad_snapshot7.jpg
freecad_snapshot7.jpg (1.73 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
yorik wrote:I would suggest you to model differently, and make one continuous sketch for the exterior wall, then separate segments for the interior walls, and add them to the main wall. I made an example on your file...
Thats what I did before in the example of the previous topic. but it would give me the issue with placing the 'ToiletDoor' which seemed to take part of the ToiletWall too.

I am starting to wonder whether I have got a defective package that maybe didn't even get installed properly.

The example you posted is exactly what I was trying to achieve. Would you be so kind to briefly list the steps you used? (rather than using your example, I believe it's a better idea if I learn it myself for future projects).

This is what I did:
1) create the floor sketch
2) Create structure object from the sketch
3) select the structure
4) create a new sketch on the selected structure
5) Lock it with the structure
6) Create a Wall object from the locked second sketch
7) repeat step 3, 4, 5 and 6
and the walls were joined nicely, but placing a door in that last added partition won't work
then instead of adding a partition (wall where the Toilet Door should be placed) I decided to create two separate walls, one for the main rectangular area and, 2 for the toilet area but they wont jon accordingly. I did this:
1) created a rectanguar sketch on the surface
2) created the Wall object
3) sketch on the Toilet Area
4) created the Toilet Wall object
5) set wall visibility to 'false' for both objects
6) edit the the tolet sketch and lock it to the main wall
7) set Wall visibility to 'true'
and the walls joined as in the example attached.

p.s.: I noticed in your adjusted example that you have a DWire object. What is it? what does it do?

Thanks.
Regards,
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

p.s.: I noticed in your adjusted example that you have a DWire object. What is it? what does it do?
You used Sketcher Workbench to create lines and used that to build Walls on it and that is just on of the options:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... _the_walls

Yorik used tools available in Arch Workbench (and Draft Workbench too) to create lines used for creating Walls:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... Draft_Line

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... Draft_Wire

DWire = Draft Wire

I do not know if this is mentioned or intended to be used like this but when creating lines for wall with mentioned tools i get best results if i set Top View before creating the lines:

I am starting to wonder whether I have got a defective package that maybe didn't even get installed properly.
I think not maybe there is a bug or something not done yet and mature but with practice you will learn what to use ATM to get expected results.
The example you posted is exactly what I was trying to achieve. Would you be so kind to briefly list the steps you used? (rather than using your example, I believe it's a better idea if I learn it myself for future projects).
Basically Yorik already did that here:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... h_tutorial

Following that tutorial should get you started. Take time and work through it and test and try to understand everything it tries to teach you. It is possible something will not work as expected but there is usually enough information provided to do that in a different way to get results you are after!
however

Post by however »

Hi triplus,

Gosh! it was so easy! (when you have some references) :)

huge thank you for those tutorials! Now, I have something to read to better understand things in FreeCAD.

Regards,