How to measure radius

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hal_sk

How to measure radius

Post by hal_sk »

Hello,
I am new to FreeCAD. I was not able to find how to measure outer radius of chamfer around hole (green circle on the attached picture). So far I have only found "measure distance" but this seems to not work for circle/radius. Could you help me out? Thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to measure radius

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can use addon Manipulator workbench. Or better do it the other way round: construct it in a way meeting your needed specification.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
heron

Post by heron »

There is a Measure tool in Asembly4 workbench.
Captura1.PNG
Captura1.PNG (39.87 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
#
#
#
Also a macro.
Greetings.
LHC

Post by LHC »

I found myself constantly needing to measure radii and diameters a while back and found the assembly4 workbench measure tool very easy to use. Also left no "remnants" around like mesurements all over the screen that took yet more clicks to get rid of. I used it so much I ended up putting the icon for it in a custom toolbar in the global menu bar - now I can run it whatever workbench I am in without more clicks to change workbenches back and forth ;)
hal_sk

Post by hal_sk »

Thanks. Asembly4 is good for me.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Select the edge in the 3D view. Press Ctrl+Shift+P. In the python console (view menu -> panels -> python console) enter:

Code: Select all

elt.Curve.Radius
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I haven't been bothered for a long time: in 3 clicks
you put a sketch on the face,> External ref of the circle, diameter of the purple circle .... that's all
and if you made the cone with Hole, it tells you by default
VincentSkerved

Post by VincentSkerved »

Hi. I am also rather new to FreeCAD and new to this forum.
Do anyone know if there is any development or plans for a "quick measurment" standard tool for distances and curves?
I have tried to search the develeopment part of the forum and the release notes for 0.20, but I could not find anything like that.

I realize that there are solutions in different workbenches and so on. I use a script for measuring radius for example. But I wolud like a more built in standard tool for it.

Maybe I should ask in the development fourm?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't know of any development, but from what I see here in the forum, an improved measurement tool would be appreciated. Besides that there is nothing wrong with using addons. That's what extensible software is about.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

VincentSkerved wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:08 pm ..."quick measurment" ...
in my opinion, draft line is a quick measuring tool. here's an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-4joRot8M

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad