Teamwork / Collaborate in FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Dieduform

Teamwork / Collaborate in FreeCAD

Post by Dieduform »

Hi! I´ve been looking around and couldn´t find anything about, and I presume if it were possible it would be listed in the features.
The question is. Is it possible to work in teams with FreeCAD? with that I mean several people at the same time on the same file (or parts of it).
It would be nice to know about it, or a workaround, or if there is a plan to add this feature someday in a not-so-far future.
Thanks for the info!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Teamwork / Collaborate in FreeCAD

Post by chrisb »

FreeCAD files themselves are not made to be worked on in parallel. But you can well work on different files, which are then used by the Link feature or one of the Assembly workbenches to build a model from.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

FreeCAD files have no "database" technology, like record locking, for example. So, as @chrisb notes, multiple files which constitute components of a project connected with the Link tools is possible. But concurrent work on the same file is certainly not in the cards anytime soon, if ever.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

I'm working on a project enabling that, and a alpha version is running. Definitely not production ready yet, but you may be interested and have a look:

https://github.com/OpenCollaborationPla ... borativeFC

phpBB [video]