freecad next step

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
onekk
Veteran

Re: freecad next step

Post by onekk »

Some other notes, many big libraries have simply a "most update" documentation where there are plenty of phrases like "introduced in X.xx" and similar thing.

And many of them are supported by "big companies" with "some money".

FreeCAD documentation is notably changing, and became better due to many efforts by "a bunch of people" dedicated to this task, in a volunteer way.

Many thanks to all, and there is a way to help FreeCAD, stop criticize an start:
- "wiriting some documentation"
- signal bug
- discuss "constructively" with developer, even asking or reporting "was is not clear" or simply "I don't understand this thing, for this reason....", if the question is well documented and not simply a critic it will be helpful.

Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

You know, if you have features you really desire, coordinating some kind of crowd-funded bounty system to reward the individual(s) who come and implement such features might be an easier way to steer some development effort better than trying to lobby for industry investment. Think smaller and more incremental growth.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

obelisk79 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:19 pm You know, if you have features you really desire, coordinating some kind of crowd-funded bounty system to reward the individual(s) who come and implement such features might be an easier way to steer some development effort better than trying to lobby for industry investment. Think smaller and more incremental growth.
There IS a bounty system...funded, and that fund has remained at the same balance for a LONG time. (I.e. the takers have been few and far between)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

drmacro wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:30 pm There IS a bounty system...funded, and that fund has remained at the same balance for a LONG time. (I.e. the takers have been few and far between)
I was actually not aware of that. Either I'm oblivious (quite possible) or it isn't prominent on the site.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

obelisk79 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:32 pm
drmacro wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:30 pm There IS a bounty system...funded, and that fund has remained at the same balance for a LONG time. (I.e. the takers have been few and far between)
I was actually not aware of that. Either I'm oblivious (quite possible) or it isn't prominent on the site.
Probably not publicized enough. Last I heard it was funded in the 4 digit range...

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... lit=bounty
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
barbarerik

Post by barbarerik »

I just found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92QmjS- ... MakerTales

lets see how the logic of UI can be done by other team.

I still think Freecad is far far ahead, hopefully will keep its lead.
Footz

Post by Footz »

johnwang wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:38 am Better to also have a choice to pay a function. Who finished it who can get paid.
That function is not a must to be in the main.
I do sth simmilar, I tend to monitor devs who work on the functions I care about, and in return I support them mainly through Patreon.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

Footz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:21 am I do sth simmilar, I tend to monitor devs who work on the functions I care about, and in return I support them mainly through Patreon.
That's very good.
A bit more is to propose a function and lure programmer to code it.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
arthyols

Post by arthyols »

Can the programmer code the function? Into what? What do you mean?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

arthyols wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:57 pm Can the programmer code the function? Into what? What do you mean?
All source code of FreeCAD is freely available. Any developer can program something new. In C++ or in Python (or in some other formats, e.g. for icons). He can then provide his code either as an addon, or as a so called pull request, which means he asks the core developers to include it into the FreeCAD master program. If it is accepted and merged then FreeCAD provides the new function to all.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.