Following usage make transitioning users from Inventory and solidworks to FreeCAD difficult

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yuwee

Following usage make transitioning users from Inventory and solidworks to FreeCAD difficult

Post by yuwee »

My teams reports the following issues. How do I solve them?

Need solution for these problems

FREEE CAD ISSUES
I) 3D MODEL
*SOME CONSTRAINT TOOLS ARE MISSING IN 2D SKETCH.
*CAN;T PICK CENTER POINT OF THE LINE IN 2D SKETCH.
*SOME 3D TOOLS ARE MISSING LIKE SHELL.
*CAN;T USE REFERENCE LINE TO CONSTAINT SKETCH. CAN'T SELECT CENTER
POINT AS REFERENCE.
*INTERNAL THERED IS INVISIBLE.
*THERE IS NO EXTERNAL THREAD OPTION. WE HAVE TO SKETCH MANUALLY.
*SKETCH IS DIFFICULT FOR LOFT COMMAND
*CANNOT OPEN A PART FROM ASEEMBLY STEP FILE. IMPORT FILE IS
COMPLICATED.
*IF WE OPEN PART, ASSEMBLY, TECH DRAW AT A TIME ALL ARE SHOWN IN
SAME MODEL TREE.

II)2D CONVERSION
*SOME COMMANDS ARE MISSING LIKE CHAMFER, AXIS etc.
*THERE IS NO COMMAND FOR ANGULAR PROJECTION LIKE AUXILIARY VIEW
COMMAND WHICH IS IN INVENTOR.

*TOO DIFFFICULT FOR BEGINNERS TO LEARN.
*SOFTWARE ISSUE IS THERE. SOMETIMES IT CRASHED WHEN IM WORKING.
*SOME TIMES UNDO OPTION IS NOT WORKING.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Following usage make transitioning users from Inventory and solidworks to FreeCAD difficult

Post by Kunda1 »

It's 2021, you've had many years of experience on the internet and learning the etiquette...
WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING?!?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Following usage make transitioning users from Inventory and solidworks to FreeCAD difficult

Post by openBrain »

yuwee wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:06 pm My teams reports the following issues. How do I solve them?
1. The only solution that solves all issues in one shot is "change your team".

2. Another potential solution is "Don't use FreeCAD and continue paying for Inventor and Solidworks". It will probably not solve all issues though.

3. "Read the manual" could also solve a significant part of the issue.
TOO DIFFFICULT FOR BEGINNERS TO LEARN.
4. Stop working with lazy beginners. Hire capable people.
SOFTWARE ISSUE IS THERE. SOMETIMES IT CRASHED WHEN IM WORKING.
5. I'm very doubtful on this one. If your team reports this as being FreeCAD specific, probably they are actually not using Inventor or SolidWorks for real work. See point 1.
SOME TIMES UNDO OPTION IS NOT WORKING.
6. Do right the first time. See points 1 and 4.:P
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

You can submit feature requests on the Open discussion forum. Try to be as specific as possible in describing the new feature and how you would like it to work. Screenshots can be helpful. Saying, "I want the shell command like in Solidworks," is not helpful to those who have not used Solidworks.

For the bug reports you can post them in the Help forum. Include a file and instructions for reproducing the bug. "Undo sometimes does not work." "Sometimes it crashes while I am working." These are not helpful reports.

If there is something you really need and are willing to pay for (as in willing to stop using a free software and instead pay for a commercial software that has this feature) then consider offering a bounty or commission for having it added.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

For what you have paid (0) FreeCAD is worth more than you paid for, much much more.

Plus, How much you are disposed to pay for your bugs to be solved, maybe funding FreeCAD will be more helpful that simply asking in a "NOT SO POLITE WAY" for help.

Make same question to Paid CAD help desks, and see what are the answers.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

Reminds me of a coworker who sometimes is trying make do some arcane manipulations and says "but in SolidWorks I can do this with a single button press!!" and the answer he always gets is "but you aren't using SolidWorks"

I think the same applies here, forget what you expect from Inventor or whatever, this is completely different software. Also, it's free software, so don't expect the polish that you would get from proprietary software that has millions of customers worldwide.
aapo

Post by aapo »

I can relate for the learning pain and the frustration about differences between the software that caused the LIST IN THE FIRST POST to be printed. For me it's completely the opposite, FreeCAD has been the only parametric CAD I've ever used, and it feels quite natural to me to make new parts and gadgets with it. However, I once had to use SolidEdge, and it was absolutely horrible: "How the heck is sketching supposed to work with this p-o-s! What buttons I'm supposed to press, there are many, and nothing works. This SolidEdge is completely bollocks! Why haven't they made it easy and logical like FreeCAD?" :D

But in the end, I realized 3D parametric CAD is difficult and wide problem, and every CAD solves it a bit differently, and everyone is familiar with "their" program.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

aapo wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:16 pm I can relate for the learning pain and the frustration about differences between the software that caused the LIST IN THE FIRST POST to be printed. For me it's completely the opposite, FreeCAD has been the only parametric CAD I've ever used, and it feels quite natural to me to make new parts and gadgets with it. However, I once had to use SolidEdge, and it was absolutely horrible: "How the heck is sketching supposed to work with this p-o-s! What buttons I'm supposed to press, there are many, and nothing works. This SolidEdge is completely bollocks! Why haven't they made it easy and logical like FreeCAD?" :D
A post that every refugee should read!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.