[Feature idea] Dynamical design

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Feature idea] Dynamical design

Post by adrianinsaval »

bambuko wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:46 am but if anything could be improved (at least for me) is the macro location bit.
I would love if there was an option of choosing from different locations, rather than having just one location and having to swap it every time you are doing something different?
why do you need to change it though?
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:31 pm ...why do you need to change it though?
Different macros for different purposes and different projects.
Keep them in different folders.
For example have a specific macro used only in one specific project. I like to keep this particular macro in the project folder, because it is part of this project, not mixed with other odd/general macros.

In summary I have multiple macro locations.

Maybe it's just the way I work... but seem to recall someone else asking for something similar....
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:31 pm
bambuko wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:46 am but if anything could be improved (at least for me) is the macro location bit.
I would love if there was an option of choosing from different locations, rather than having just one location and having to swap it every time you are doing something different?
why do you need to change it though?
You can select a macro from anywhere using the ellipsis in the Execute macro dialog. It will allow the selection of other directories.

But, it remains pointing at that directory until you change it.

As opposed to a normal file dialog that would just let you double click on a directory to drill down or have a directory pane on the left.

It makes organizing large numbers of user macros rather cumbersome.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

drmacro wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:52 pm...But, it remains pointing at that directory until you change it.
As opposed to a normal file dialog that would just let you double click on a directory to drill down or have a directory pane on the left.
It makes organizing large numbers of user macros rather cumbersome.
That's what I am talking about
It is usable but cumbersome....
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

as a workaround you could create symlinks to your macros in the macro folder but yeah, now that you mention it having multiple directories for the macro path would be nice
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:16 pm ...having multiple directories for the macro path would be nice
Agree,
perhaps we should separate this thread? instead of hijacking OP's thread ;) (sorry mate)
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

random thought...

a document object which holds a filepath to a macro, when double-clicked it runs...

the ability to have easy access to specific macros in a document/project can turn out to be really usable :-)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

mcgiwer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:42 am Besides of that, I doubt that anyone who uses FreeCAD knows Python scripting
There is a very active subforum here on Python scripting. Plenty of ordinary users prefer scripting.

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

heda wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:08 pm random thought...

a document object which holds a filepath to a macro, when double-clicked it runs...

the ability to have easy access to specific macros in a document/project can turn out to be really usable :-)
Security risk.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

@mcgiwer you have one example :

Macro_HighlightCommon Image

bambuko wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:51 pm In summary I have multiple macro locations.
Macro store locations

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.