Sketcher - Auto remove redundants and Auto Update to be enabled for new users

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Syres
Veteran

Sketcher - Auto remove redundants and Auto Update to be enabled for new users

Post by Syres »

I had to double check this by renaming my config files because for some reason I'd got it in my head that both Auto remove redundants and Auto Update were enabled by default for new users to make them more comfortable learning Sketcher but nope they are disabled by default.

Therefore has anyone got an issue with me submitting a PR to have these Enabled by default, I personally never disable them but at least I can if so desired?
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Sketcher - Auto remove redundants and Auto Update to be enabled for new users

Post by openBrain »

Fine for me for "Auto-update".

Oppositely for "Auto-remove redundant", I think is is disabled by default purposely, because it can induce 'hidden' behavior that may disturb learning user. I think it's a food thing, so I'm opposed to having this enabled by default.

Just my opinion. :)
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Sketcher - Auto remove redundants and Auto Update to be enabled for new users

Post by kisolre »

I just tested and as I remember Auto update recalculates on any sketch edit. Which in a simple model with a loft with four ellipses takes some seconds here. And since the model is hidden anyway because of other settings what is the point? Also since there is a fillet down the line any serious change in that sketch would probably brake the model due to TNP and the update will not be relevant any more while editing the sketch...
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

OK so three Veterans have different opinions and (appear to have) different working methods so that's a Leave It Well Alone.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Just to add a voice of (recent) newb - having tried ON, I have now returned to default OFF and very happy with it being set this way.
I am sure I am not a "typical newb" (if such a thing exists...?) but I am sure that whatever do you will make people whinge :lol:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

I think auto remove redundant should be enabled by default. If the sketcher auto applies constraints (vertical and horizontal for lines for example), it should also remove them when redundant.

Example: draw a line horizontally and add symmetry constraint around y-axis. Now the sketch turns red and scary, and warns you that you are doing something wrong. This is the sort of UX that scares away new people trying out freecad.

Experienced users know what all these settings mean, and will adjust them to their individual preferences. But the default settings should be as pain free as possible in my opinion.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Agreed with Haavard, IMO auto remove should default on, otherwise they just end up with not working sketches due tu redundancies. Auto update should default to off IMO as it can be a performance killer and is rarely useful.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:54 pm Agreed with Haavard, IMO auto remove should default on, otherwise they just end up with not working sketches due tu redundancies. Auto update should default to off IMO as it can be a performance killer and is rarely useful.
IIRC, "Auto-constraints" is also disabled by default. ;)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

openBrain wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:07 pm IIRC, "Auto-constraints" is also disabled by default. ;)
I just tried, it's enabled.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 pm I just tried, it's enabled.
So probably it's a problem... :|