Trialling proposed new functionality

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Trialling proposed new functionality

Post by adrianinsaval »

onekk wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:47 pm My intention was to tell that there is already too much "rumors" on some thing, like TNP mitigation and some other "RT works" that are being integrated in FreeCAD, but when they are integrated is not clear.
Yes but like I said realthunder's stuff is a special case, it's a fork whether people want to call it that or not. This wouldn't be just for realthunder's stuff but generalized for PRs, clearly for testing that PR and not shown on FreeCAD's download page, testers will get to them not regular folks. I don't see anything ambiguous about these builds if they are distributed, rumors and fairytales about TNP are unrelated (and at this point I do consider those rumors a fairytale to shut up people asking for the merge but this is off topic).
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:09 pm !
I agree on this position.

My main concern are about confusion to new users, so maybe some "blinking Warning" has to be stated clearly, and introduced clearly even in the "Help infos" that will be copied following the "ATTENTION: ..." in "Help on using FreeCAD" thread.

Hoping for best, as if something is happening out of here is the "pay per use" politics that is spreading all over the web, so many new users are willing to try "open source alternatives".

As here "we gave help not paid" (I sometimes I've managed to be helpful to some people, so maybe I could use "we" here), it will be very difficult to cope with "many different version of FreeCAD", not counting the "distribution installed ones" that sometimes have mixed libraries that will for sure complicate things, see as example "Navicube Font Problem" that for some users on Linux will arise if you don't have some font installed.

But this is OT for this thread, so sorry for bothering. :D

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:27 pm appimages can do delta downloads and so can flatpak, not sure about snaps.
Snaps can as well
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

So any of those 3 would be a good choice, although it might be complicated to make delta downloads from different sources for appimages, I don't know. Regarding flatpaks and snaps, do delta downloads work for example when you have stable channel installed and you want to install beta? Regarding the comments about confused users, if snaps are used that can be a bit of an issue as they will have to be on the snap public repository because there are no external repos for them, that could result in regular users installing them without understanding what they are doing. In the flatpak case we can have a private repo for those builds so regular users won't find it, only those interested in testing. A potential problem with using snaps and flatpaks though is that problems that come from the sandboxing might get reported as issues of the PR when they aren't, resulting in counterproductive noise.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Maybe we can ask bernd, since he's behind the FreeCAD CI bot that we've been using on the repo. Maybe we could leverage his work to make a buildbot-like service for testing PRs ?
bernd wrote::bell:
CC @bernd

Edit:
https://gitlab.com/freecad/FreeCAD-CI
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs