Ordering addon Workbenches

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Ordering addon Workbenches

Post by chrisb »

I have split this topic from the general AddonManager discussion (had hoped, uwestoehr as originator would do it :mrgreen: ). It seems completely independent so I omit the crossreferences.
If someone thinks links are important, please add them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

:lol: , a button in addonmgr is of course spot on for add-ons
was actually thinking about a button to customize in preferences, but the more the merrier :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

heda wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:49 am :lol: , a button in addonmgr is of course spot on for add-ons
was actually thinking about a button to customize in preferences, but the more the merrier :D
I have to refrain from this idea, and it would probably be difficult to do any sorting directly after the install: A newly installed workebench does not occur at all in the list before a restart.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Addon Manager Redesign 2021

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:33 am
Why does it take longer to look under "a" when you installed "Assembly 4".
Well, in reality sometimes things are more complex. When installing several wb and they are sorted alphabetically afterwards I have to carefully go through all entries to remember which wb I have actually installed.

You installed e.g. Fasteners, Manipulator and Curves and 20 seconds later you can't remember this? But you installed these WBs for a certain reason and not randomly. Therefore I am still not convinced ;)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Well, usually I don't open the Addon manager with the clear intention to install A, B, C but look what's available and if I am curious I will give it a try. It can easily take 10 min until I am through all wb and when closing the dialog I can't remember all wb I have installed.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:37 pm Well, usually I don't open the Addon manager with the clear intention to install A, B, C but look what's available and if I am curious I will give it a try. It can easily take 10 min until I am through all wb and when closing the dialog I can't remember all wb I have installed.
I see, but you must admit that this is not the normal use case.
For these special uses cases I proposed a new option you can use to avoid the sorting.
For the normal use case the default preferences setting should apply, so to sort alphabetically.
jonasb

Post by jonasb »

What do you think about marking newly installed WBs somehow? Perhaps with a star icon next to them...

Personally, I prefer them alphabetically sorted.
alexu

Re: Addon Manager Redesign 2021

Post by alexu »

rynn wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:20 pm I don’t want the list to be sorted at all. I have the workbenches I use most (Partdesign, Sketcher, Part, Fastener, Mesh) at the top and I want them to stay there.
TheMarkster wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:20 am I would say alphabetical sorting could be the default when a new workbench is added or one is removed, but this could be overridden with a user parameter.
Since we're all wishing for a Pony...

User sorted WB - Separator - Alpha sorted remainder of WB

So you can pin your favorites at the top in a known order, then the rest are alpha sorted.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I suppose there could be sorting options.

Sort alphabetically
Sort by date installed
Custom sort (drag/drop?)