Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: FreeCAD Accepted; Applicants discuss ideas with orgs till April 3)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: FreeCAD Accepted; Applicants discuss ideas with orgs till April

Post by Kunda1 »

Just a check-in, where are we at right now in the GSoC process
March 7 - April 3

Potential GSoC contributors discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations

April 4 - 18:00 UTC

GSoC contributor application period begins

April 19 - 18:00 UTC

GSoC contributor application deadline

May 12 - 18:00 UTC

GSoC contributor slot requests due from Org Admins

May 20 - 18:00 UTC

Accepted GSoC contributor projects announced
Here are the open proposals for FreeCAD: https://github.com/opencax/GSoC/issues? ... FreeCAD%22
screenshot of all open FreeCAD proposals for #GSOC22
screenshot of all open FreeCAD proposals for #GSOC22
Screenshot_20220329_091904.png (258.99 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: FreeCAD Accepted; Applicants discuss ideas with orgs till April

Post by keithsloan52 »

So what projects if any have been accepted?

Thought there should have been an announcement on May 20th but have not seen any more.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I don't see any activity regarding GSoC. No students have inquired, AFAICT. Am i incorrect?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:02 pm I don't see any activity regarding GSoC. No students have inquired, AFAICT. Am i incorrect?
Given https://opensource.googleblog.com/2022/ ... unced.html and your comment I assume there will be NO FreeCAD GSoC projects this year. If correct, is a sad state of affairs and not good for the attracting of new young developers to FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

keithsloan52 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:18 am Given https://opensource.googleblog.com/2022/ ... unced.html and your comment I assume there will be NO FreeCAD GSoC projects this year. If correct, is a sad state of affairs and not good for the attracting of new young developers to FreeCAD.
It is weird though. We usually get some interest. And I haven't seen any on the forum...? amiright?
Actually as tragic as it might seem, I think the: devs, packagers, and testers are a little overworked trying to get v0.20 out the door. Also the pace of development has accelerated (slowed down only in the last week or so because of the windows packaging bottleneck blocking release) and roadmap has clarified given that the devs have targeted Toponaming for v0.21
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes, this is pretty unusual, we have indeed no GSOC candidate this year. I reached to others of our OpenGCAX group, and other said they also saw a reducing in their candidates. Those who still have plenty (BRL-CAD for ex), it's mainly because some of their devs are university professors, and they "recruit" easily :)

Indeed this year we had GSOC and 0.20 together, which makes thing worse (I also personally have had less time available these last weeks/months), so there was little prospective on our side. But usually it's not really needed, students just come in?

I think it might also have to do with other factors, like reduced grant from google, and increased difficulties for people in India (all-time champions of GSOC) to receive money from abroad due to law changes last year...
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

how does google do the payment?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:41 pm how does google do the payment?
I think through their own payment platform? I'm pretty sure they have one...