Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: FreeCAD Accepted; Applicants discuss ideas with orgs till April 3)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: orgs register on Feb 8th)

Post by Kunda1 »

Infrastructure proposal:
Help bernd improve the FreeCAD CI so that we can have something like https://builder.blender.org
+ the ability to create builds on demand from pending PRs for testing (think Toponaming!)

Related:
issue #3259 - Buildbot framework
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: orgs register on Feb 8th)

Post by Kunda1 »

FreeCAD Asset browser (similar to Blender's) that leverages:
* https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-library
* BOLTS
* Fasteners WB
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Improve Headless FreeCAD which includes:
  • Improving the **/App/ portions of the code, allowing them to be more autonomous of **/Gui
  • Improving support to use headless to batch convert files from one format to another (includes making import/export of numerous formats more robust)
  • Improving docstrings (link)
  • Improve FreeCAD's ability to be remotely deployed on a network
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Add a Safe Mode (ticket) (thread)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Migrating Curves Workbench to Surface Workbench...If @Chris_G is into that?
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:27 pm Migrating Curves Workbench to Surface Workbench...If @Chris_G is into that?
I would like to see the ability to edit curves in the Curves Workbench.
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

Announcement: Greetings, FreeCAD is again selected in GSoC 2022 under the umbrella of BRL-CAD.

yorik wrote:
I would like to mentor again this year, not only for the Reinforcement workbench but for any FreeCAD project too. :)
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
yorik
Founder

Re: Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: FreeCAD Accepted; Applicants discuss ideas with orgs till April

Post by yorik »

amrit3701 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:18 pm I would like to mentor again this year, not only for the Reinforcement workbench but for any FreeCAD project too. :)
Check if you can access the GSOC platform, if not, mail Sean so he can add you.

To anyone else interested in mentoring: If you did it already in the past, check if you can log in at https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com , if not, send a mail to Sean. If you never mentored before, post here or DM me!
shamanths13

Re: Google Summer of Code 2022 - Call for ideas (Update: FreeCAD Accepted; Applicants discuss ideas with orgs till April

Post by shamanths13 »

I have a few suggestions: Multi-Threading support, more robust fillet solver, and ability to add point on bspline and set tangent geometry to it.
Cheers!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

shamanths13 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:16 pm I have a few suggestions: Multi-Threading support, more robust fillet solver, and ability to add point on bspline and set tangent geometry to it.
Cheers!
First two are OCCT stuff, not FreeCAD. Also I think solver is not the right terminology for fillets, I guess it's filleting algorithms. (AFAIK solvers is the name for the algorithms that numerically solve equations)
I would love to have the bspline stuff, not sure if it's too complicated for a student.