Repeated login requests

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FreddyFreddy

Re: Repeated login requests

Post by FreddyFreddy »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:14 pm This is controlled by your browser. It sounds like you are not allowing cookies, even for the current session.
Gene
I would imaging that if it was my browser it would be affecting all manner of sites I use, which it does not.

By other posts here it seems to cover a variety browsers. Personally I use Safari. Apple did some years ago forcibly block third-party cookies, but other than that nothing special. I do use Apple Private Relay, but turning that off made no difference.

So I'm firming an opinion that the problem lies in phpBB code, or configuration. I know nothing about either.
Last edited by FreddyFreddy on Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:07 pm So BB is this Forum? You can check "Remember me", but that may rely on your IP adress, or you have to enable cookies.
Not sure why IP address is an issue, unless it changes all the time. Does this happen? Remember me seems to be becoming a thing of the past.
If cookies are not turned on at all I don't think you'd get very far at all.
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2133065 may be relevant. Talks about cookie domain settings in phpBB. May also explain why I had to save two different login password sites, which I thought was weird.
Last edited by FreddyFreddy on Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

and https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2525221

Cookie configuration every time?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

FreddyFreddy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:42 pm I would imaging that if it was my browser it would be affecting all manner of sites I use, which it does not.
Not at all. Every site either has permission or not in your browser.

I stayed logged in for months at a time. Other sites I choose to not store the cookies and I need to log in every time.

There may be something wrong with the way phpBB handles cookies, but I have never seen a problem on this board or the other boards I frequent that use phpBB.

[Edit]

I just tried a bit of a test. I deleted all of the phpBB "Remember me" keys. I then completely shut down my browser (Firefox) and made sure the cache was emptied, but not the cookies I store permanently. I then opened up a new browser session and opened the FreeCAD forum site. I was automatically logged in as usual.

Again, it is your browser.

Gene
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:01 pm but I have never seen a problem on this board or the other boards I frequent that use phpBB.
It seems others here have seen this issue though. I wonder what's special about your setup? Mine for example are just default. Nothing special.
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

I mentioned earlier that I was surprised to end up with two saved passwords for this site.

There is one for freecadweb.org and another for freecad.org

Same password of course.

That's a pretty strong clue IMHO.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

FreddyFreddy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:12 pm I wonder what's special about your setup?
I don't use a MAC. :lol:

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:12 pm I don't use a MAC. :lol:
Haha, good point!

I use Firefox on the mac and have no issues with staying logged in. I have a cookie from freecadweb.org (change some minutes ago) and one from freecad.org, changed two days ago.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.