FPA, FreeCAD Project Association - any news?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mlampert
Veteran

FPA, FreeCAD Project Association - any news?

Post by mlampert »

I was wondering if there was any news from the FPA? Is this still ongoing? - and if so - has its mandate and justification for existence gotten any clarification? If this is already posted somewhere feel free to point me in the right direction.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: FPA, FreeCAD Project Association - any news?

Post by drmacro »

What sort of news are you expecting?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

In the announcement thread there was a promise for regular updates, other than the announcement itself and the excitement it caused I haven't heard anything, nor does there seem to be an update on the wiki page.

It's been several months and it's still not clear what this FPA is actually for, and what it's not for. Given the responses I have to assume it's already defunct or paralyzed. As I understand it a lot of work went into creating it, so somebody must've have a purpose for it. What is it?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

mlampert wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:10 pm It's been several months and it's still not clear what this FPA is actually for, and what it's not for.
I would not say, that 2 months are several (last update, see https://github.com/FreeCAD/FPA), but maybe i am nitpicking. As far as i know the FPA is mainly only a legal and infrastructure structure for FreeCAD.

Greetings
user1234
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Everyone's busy with release ATM. I'm not surprised there isn't activity in FPA
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

To give you guys a short answer now, yes, sorry about the lack of reporting, but indeed there hasn't been much going on yet, because most efforts are towards the release. we've basically been learning how to operate an NGO and trying to open a bank account, which turned out to be much harder than creating the association :) but we're almost there too now.
We try to keep https://github.com/freecad/FPA updated, though. Check there!
And yes, we should think of a way to give regular updates...
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yorik wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:43 am And yes, we should think of a way to give regular updates...
A dedicated locked thread in the announcements subforum should do the job
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

yorik wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:43 am And yes, we should think of a way to give regular updates...
Yes, I agree. At least monthly, IMHO it's really really important for FreeCADand all the community. We need to find a way.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

BTW, I started opening a couple of issues on https://github.com/FreeCAD/FPA , mostly more "policy-related" things, that I thought it would be good to put there to not pollute the FreeCAD repo with non-coding things. I'd like to remind all of you that the FPA is still part of the FreeCAD world, still open-source, and anybody is always more than welcome to help, work on things, and voice your opinion, being officially a decision-taking member of it or not. The FPA is our tool, let's use it!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Awesome, is there a process established if someone wants to become a member?