Feature request: cosmetic threads for Hole feature

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Feature request: cosmetic threads for Hole feature

Post by adrianinsaval »

so maybe what we need is a way of setting a texture for the face of the hole, this will require the toponaming stuff to properly identify those faces after other operations are applied
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:46 am do PD features consider it a single solid and operate normally on it though? That's my point
Sorry for misunderstanding. No this does not work at the moment. Does not mean, that is can not be changed. Also years ago theere was a consideration, to drop the only one solid rule fore bodies, when the TNP is solved. TNP is the main reason for the one solid rule, because the numbering was with more solids more unstable.

drmacro wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 am It would probably be good to consult what industry uses and standards like ANSI, etc. recommend.
The most CADs i know, just color the faces with following scheme:

- outer threads have an other color as inner threads

- outer threads the diameter is thread outer diameter (example: M20 ≙ ⌀20)

- inner thread have the diameter outer thread diameter - pitch (like when you bore the core diameter for threading, example M20 ≙ ⌀17.5)

- when after the thread the diameter have same dimension (like a bolt ISO 4014 or a core bore diameter), then there is a seam like an unrefined edge, which separate the thread (and color) from the normal geometry.

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

user1234 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:28 pm Sorry for misunderstanding. No this does not work at the moment. Does not mean, that is can not be changed.
Yes, I'm just saying it brings extra complexity because the change then needs to be done in all of PD instead of just on the hole feature but it's certainly possible.
Also years ago theere was a consideration, to drop the only one solid rule fore bodies, when the TNP is solved. TNP is the main reason for the one solid rule, because the numbering was with more solids more unstable.
This is the first time I've heard of single solid being due to TNP, people always brought up the argument of the physical meaning of bodies
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

I really do like the color solution to this problem, but it seems that is far easier to implement for generating thread bodies (like I'm doing), versus adding this to a thread bored into an existing solid (PD Hole is doing?). With the color solution you get the greatest savings in space and cpu; and it fits the FC scheme for binder objects. We all recognize transparent yellow is a binder shape, and it's only a small step to start recognizing transparent blue as disabled thread object.

So for the PD Hole tool, when threads are disabled, instead of generating an expensive helical thread cut, could it fuse a thin-walled and transparent-colored tube to the hole wall?
May whatever Higher Power you believe in bless the Ukrainians. They are a decent people who never hurt anybody.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:39 pm This is the first time I've heard of single solid being due to TNP, people always brought up the argument of the physical meaning of bodies
This was discussed in the PartDesignNext implementation. Even i was not in that time registered here, i always look here regularly before registering.

KurtF wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:05 pm I really do like the color solution to this problem, but it seems that is far easier to implement for generating thread bodies
Yes, this is true. Also when you are working on, for example, a big flange/cover, with hundreds of holes an threads, a color overview is much faster to see as an texture.

Greetings
user1234