Feature request: cosmetic threads for Hole feature

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Feature request: cosmetic threads for Hole feature

Post by chrisb »

I propose to add an option to the PartDesign Hole feature, which adds a cosmetic thread instead of a helical one.

In a topic in the german forum it was shown that a file with real threads is very much bigger (here 1.5MB) and takes rather long to recompute compared to fake/cosmetic threads (here 75KB) as e.g. described in the Thread for Screw Tutorial.

The additional property should be expression aware, so that it would be easily possible to switch from cosmetic to real threads.

Please let me hear your opinions, if it is worth to create a feature request in the tracker.

Edit: I add here two samples, taken from the other topic with slight modifications to make them better comparable.

1) RealThread. For comparisons set in the Hole feature ModelThread=true
RealThread.FCStd
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
2) CosmeticThread. This can be taken as is.
CosmeticThread.FCStd
(174.27 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: Feature request: cosmetic threads for Hole feature

Post by Jee-Bee »

In my opinion it should show close to nothing.
May as shown on drawing a circular line of 270 degrees on the top face(s) is close enough for me
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Yes, please - good idea :ugeek:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Sure, that’s a great idea. Cosmetic threads were discussed and requested a few times in the past. The new option of the Hole tool to model real threads is a good opportunity to introduce cosmetic representations as well. But once cosmetic threads are developed, it would be a shame not to implement them for male threads (screws, threaded rods and so on) as well. I just don't know how to do it, a separate tool would probably be needed.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

If there isn't an existing feature request I thinks it's worth adding it, are you proposing the method shalmeneser used with grooves? we have a reference for the file size advantage, how about the computational cost? How do other software do this?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

I would do it with CompSolids, because it also can used in 2D. See https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php ... 21#p452221

Greetings
user1234
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:14 pm If there isn't an existing feature request I thinks it's worth adding it,
There is a very old FR about this but it’s phrased quite generally:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/5567
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NewJoker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:58 pm There is a very old FR about this but it’s phrased quite generally:
Good find. I have added a link to this topic, so hopefully someone may have a look.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

Cool. I just finished adding this very feature to the ThreadMaker macro I'm working on. I have the ext. thread maker, not started in int. threads yet. Additionally, ext and int fasteners in Fasteners Workbench have this feature. Point being, similar code is out there with more on the way.
May whatever Higher Power you believe in bless the Ukrainians. They are a decent people who never hurt anybody.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

user1234 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:43 pm I would do it with CompSolids, because it also can used in 2D. See https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php ... 21#p452221
user1234
problem is you need to add support for that on the rest of the PD features which increases the complexity, I know it's not common to make pockets or other features that interfere with an existing hole but when it happens we can't have a floating thread in the middle