If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GAZ082

If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Post by GAZ082 »

Yes. If I have the option to define the diameter of a hole in the Hole tool (Part Design), why cant I define a hole with just a point as its center?

Model overview.
Screenshot from 2022-05-14 17-25-35.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-14 17-25-35.png (23.74 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Sketch with a point.
Screenshot from 2022-05-14 17-24-38.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-14 17-24-38.png (6.59 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Selected the sketch, hole tool, everything disappears and no hole in sight.
Screenshot from 2022-05-14 17-25-30.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-14 17-25-30.png (11.11 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
If I just put a circle instead, it works:
Screenshot from 2022-05-14 17-27-28.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-14 17-27-28.png (23.62 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Post by chrisb »

GAZ082 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:28 pm why cant I define a hole with just a point as its center?
There are several answers:
- because that's not the way it is implemented
- to allow points could be convenient, but when the hole was introduced, the point geometric element was not visible as real geometry.
- I don't know if a point can be distinguished from the endpoint of a line or arc.
- it is often very useful to have a hole at the center of a curvature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Post by adrianinsaval »

tldr; nobody coded it
if you can make a PR it would be very welcomed
GAZ082

Post by GAZ082 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:12 am tldr; nobody coded it
if you can make a PR it would be very welcomed
Looks like an interesting way of getting my feet wet.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

I was also going to request that. It would be less confusing (currently you draw a circle with an arbitrary radius and then define the actual radius in the Hole feature). Also, it could be quite convenient, especially once the paddle’s tool settings widget will be introduced allowing for the placement of points by just specifying their coordinates.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Wouldn't it be simpler (and more logical) to make hole tool to use diameter defined in the sketch? :? :( :roll:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

bambuko wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:27 am Wouldn't it be simpler (and more logical) to make hole tool to use diameter defined in the sketch? :? :( :roll:
This would be less confusing but would also make the tool much less convenient than it is now. In commercial CAD software the possibility to sketch just the points and then create holes of any size at their locations is very handy. In FreeCAD you must draw circles instead. Having to dimension them would make it much more tedious and you wouldn’t be able to change the diameter directly in the Hole tool instead of editing the sketch.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Make it better than "commercial CAD software" then ;)

allow use of either points and circle created in sketch as an option in the hole tool...

so:
1 - create sketch with just points > use hole tool > confirm points as a source > use hole tool as it is at the moment
2 - create sketch with just dimensioned circles > use hole tool > select "circles" as source > use hole tool with circle diameter as a hole diameter

and everybody is happy (apart from confused ones :lol: :mrgreen: )
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

NO,
Because you can use any sketch or body to Hole it.
Every arc / circle will be used for the center of these holes.

So this Hole tool with just Points would be a regression.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-05-15 113230.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-05-15 113230.jpg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
HoleAtArc_SHALM.FCStd
(29 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:36 am NO,
Because you can use any sketch or body to Hole it.
Every arc / circle will be used for the center of these holes.

So this Hole tool with just Points would be a regression.
Then we could just add free points to supported geometric entities and thus avoid the regression.