If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

Re: If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Post by user1234 »

tl,dr, because of not time. It is a regression.

Holes with points was working before (when they was normal geometry, no invisible internal geometry).

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Post by adrianinsaval »

user1234 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:12 pm Holes with points was working before (when they was normal geometry, no invisible internal geometry).
when was this the case? I've been around since at least 0.17 and I don't remember this, of course I could be just having bad memory
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I can't remember this either.
Points were never exposed in any version before 0.19. In 0.19 Points cannot be used as centers of holes. So it must have been somewhere in the 0.20 dev cycle.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:31 pm when was this the case?
Around 2 to 1 year ago. There was her a discussion about a rectangle sketch, where the points should be holes with that. I do not find it, because the forum search tool ignores 4 form 5 words. I have not time atm to do a good search. Maybe alter.

Sorry

Greetings
user1234
flachyjoe
Veteran

Post by flachyjoe »

user1234 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:41 pm Around 2 to 1 year ago. There was her a discussion about a rectangle sketch, where the points should be holes with that. I do not find it, because the forum search tool ignores 4 form 5 words. I have not time atm to do a good search. Maybe alter.
https://www.qwant.com/?q=hole+point+rec ... cadweb.org

Sketch points are only usable since abdullah implementation and he said then :
abdullah wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:58 pm I did not say that I had implemented the defining point in the hole feature. In fact, I have never looked at the code of the hole feature. I am just providing you with a "Vertex" within the shape created by the sketcher.
- Flachy Joe -
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:04 pm bambuko wrote: ↑Sun May 15, 2022 5:31 am
so:
1 - create sketch with just points > use hole tool > confirm points as a source > use hole tool as it is at the moment
2 - create sketch with just dimensioned circles > use hole tool > select "circles" as source > use hole tool with circle diameter as a hole diameter

and everybody is happy (apart from confused ones )
there are some problems with this, first the backwards compatibility problem, it
If I may toss in my 2 c., I think bambuko captured ideal workflows here. As a recent FreeCAD immigrant from other CAD, I would expect these 2 use cases to be fairly straightforward to execute. Slightly modifying bambuko's version (I don't understand the need to sketch independent points):

1- Hole tool allows attachment to any point in the sketch (or 3d view) which is already defined as corners, intersections, center points, etc. Hole feature has it's own diameter prop.
2- Hole tool allows attachment to any circle on the sketch. Hole feautre follows sketch circle diameter, which imo is intuitive expectation, and reflects user intention to drive it's geometry from the sketch, like most other PD solids.

I understand (for the most part) the technical difficulties mentioned to implement this, but I also understand that there is some serious problem-solving talent in the FC Dev Team. :-)
May whatever Higher Power you believe in bless the Ukrainians. They are a decent people who never hurt anybody.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:31 pm when was this the case? I've been around since at least 0.17 and I don't remember this, of course I could be just having bad memory
Maybe i am the one with the bad memory, at least in that case.

Greetings
user1234
zackw

Post by zackw »

I've been working on this a bit, gotten a draft of the feature working. Seems to require a lot of modifications to make work smoothly. I got it to include all vertices, but need to sort out individual points versus the vertices in things like rectangles and circles. Learning lots, and it's a good break from the copy/paste stuff.

mfro

Post by mfro »

A point currently requires two actions: 1.) create it, 2.) take it out of construction mode (which is - with good reason - the point default).

A circle only needs one single action (although two - fast - clicks are involved as well). If the point would be allowed additionally, I wouldn't care.
Cheers,
Markus
demonlibra

Post by demonlibra »

bambuko wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:27 am Wouldn't it be simpler (and more logical) to make hole tool to use diameter defined in the sketch? :? :( :roll:
phpBB [video]