If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Post by Shalmeneser »

1) But points are created in construction mode, so you'll need to change their mode (Sketcher_ToggleConstruction) and it's easier then just to create a circle.
2) Any alone point (construction/normal) could be used later for Hole tool ?
wmayer
Founder

Re: If the hole tool allows to set a diameter, why using a sketch with just a point does not work?

Post by wmayer »

IIRC it was discussed a few years ago to exactly support this. I guess when doing so the points must be construction points as otherwise they won't be part of the sketch shape.

EDIT:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 55#p154255

EDIT2:
issue #6884
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:12 am IIRC it was discussed a few years ago to exactly support this. I guess when doing so the points must be construction points as otherwise they won't be part of the sketch shape.
When the hole tool was created no real points existed. Now I would prefer to create the holes on real and not construction points. That would keep the construction points available for, well, constructions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

in case anyone reading this is looking for a quick other suggestion. here is one in draft

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 42#p595342

1417.FCStd
(25.68 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Bildschirmfoto_2022-05-15_14-44-39.png
Bildschirmfoto_2022-05-15_14-44-39.png (40.96 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:13 pm ... I would prefer to create the holes on real and not construction points. That would keep the construction points available for, well, constructions.
+1
seems strange to me using construction points for that :roll:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:48 pm in case anyone reading this is looking for a quick other suggestion. here is one in draft
You may want to look what PartDesign Hole really is. What you present here is not a replacement for the Hole but rather for the Pocket feature.

The Hole can be done differently, of course, but it is damn comfortable to have all this, including threads, in a single feature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:58 pm ...
I understood it that one point for hole is not enough, I've noticed that too, it's kind of double the work. but the difficult part is the confusion for beginners. (in my view)
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
GAZ082

Post by GAZ082 »

So, if the center of arcs and whatnot can be used to place a hole, the point needs also to be allowed to be used as center for consistency and completeness. Unless for some reason the point is a second class citizen :D
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

I think it detects all circular lines and create center points for use (not using the original ones).
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:13 pm
wmayer wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:12 am IIRC it was discussed a few years ago to exactly support this. I guess when doing so the points must be construction points as otherwise they won't be part of the sketch shape.
When the hole tool was created no real points existed. Now I would prefer to create the holes on real and not construction points. That would keep the construction points available for, well, constructions.
Regular sketch points are only shown when editing a sketch but will disappear as soon as you close it because they are not considered for the sketch shape. This makes it somewhat difficult to immediately see where the holes will be created.

The current implementation of the hole feature checks the sketch shape and searches for circles there to compute the holes. Because regular points will not be part of the shape it's not possible to search for independent vertexes and one has to query the geometry property of the sketch instead. This makes the handling of circles vs points inconsistent.