[FR] reset filename autogeneration for export after a manual name entry.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

[FR] reset filename autogeneration for export after a manual name entry.

Post by kisolre »

When for some reason one decides to manually enter a file name for export, not accepting the autogenerated one that name becomes default for anything exported afterwards. So any other object you try to export has this name as default. The only way I know to reset this behavior is to restart FreeCAD. This should either be per object action (hard to support because you could select any combination of items for export) or there should be a way to reset the manual entry and return to autogenerated names WITHOUT restarting FreeCAD. Or am i missing something?
chennes
Veteran

Re: [FR] reset filename autogeneration for export after a manual name entry.

Post by chennes »

Do you have a suggestion for how to reset it? My thinking was that normally if you didn’t want the generated name the first time you probably wouldn’t want it in subsequent exports either, so that seemed the safer option. My recollection is that I used a static local variable to track it, so there are limited options on how to do a “reset”.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Is this in the same vane as a user entered name that does not include the file extension (for example the export type is selected as dxf) and it is happy to export a file with no extension. But, import doesn't list the file because it has no extension?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

No, the extension is handled by a separate bit of code. I think that bug is OS-specific.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

drmacro wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:51 pm Is this in the same vane as a user entered name that does not include the file extension (for example the export type is selected as dxf) and it is happy to export a file with no extension. But, import doesn't list the file because it has no extension?
You have to blame the system file dialog for this behaviour. AFAIK this mainly happens with the GTK-based file dialog and has occurred once the devs decided to hide any file extensions.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

chennes wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 11:05 pm Do you have a suggestion for how to reset it?
Add a button in the export dialog or file menu that reverts whatever happens when the name is entered by hand and the autogenerated one is not used? So when the next time a name is needed no fixed name will be supplied and the autogeneration mechanism will kick in?