[solved] Mirror along any line, within the editing of sketch

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
llll

[solved] Mirror along any line, within the editing of sketch

Post by llll »

Tried for an hour to Mirror a sketch: extract the area of interest, merge it with the sketch it was taken from, in separate files or within same sketch.
Anyway, it failed miserably and could not solve.. Not sure why it failed. But my opinion is it doesnt matter, because what sent me down this rabbit hole was inability to do a simple mirror inside sketch with any line as the delineator which should be a feature since the rabbit hole is prone to collapsing with its overly complex workflow. A better mirror will solve this issue much more simply than delving into mechanics of solving sketches.

How annoying -- It takes 1 second to extract the part of the sketch to flip around. But from here there's no way to flip it around. I could spend 3 hours and not succeed I think. Please! fix :'(

So now I will finish my sketch and hope my eye is a good enough ruler to make these arcs close enough to symmetric
Version: 2022.430.28641 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Last edited by llll on Mon May 16, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [feat. req.] Mirror along any line, within the editing of sketch

Post by chrisb »

llll wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:43 am what sent me down this rabbit hole was inability to do a simple mirror inside sketch with any line as the delineator which should be a feature since the rabbit hole is prone to collapsing with its overly complex workflow.
Please describe in detail what you have done, it works flawless here:
- select the geometry you want to mirror
- select the mirror line
- press the Symmetry icon

Having said that, most often it is better to keep the sketches simple and mirror the corresponding feature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
llll

Post by llll »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:00 am Having said that, most often it is better to keep the sketches simple and mirror the corresponding feature.
Sketch connected to external ref sketch. Not fully defined. Tens of degrees of freedom. Fails to merge sketches & solve. If it just mirrored inside the sketch, the area of interest, there would be no issues I think with DOF?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Mirror in the sketch works fine.

That said, I seldom use it. It is far better to sketch half the profile, then pad, pocket, etc., then use the Mirror transform.

Much more efficient, simpler constraint requirements, easy to read and maintain.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
llll

Post by llll »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:00 am - select the mirror line
- press the Symmetry icon
Thank you. Didn't know this feature.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: [solved] Mirror along any line, within the editing of sketch

Post by Shalmeneser »

File ? (just the sketch)
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

llll wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:43 am So now I will finish my sketch and hope my eye is a good enough ruler to make these arcs close enough to symmetric
There are enough tools in Sketcher to not use your eyes but to use geometrical constraints : Sketcher_ConstrainSymmetric.

Which tool did you try ?
routalot

Post by routalot »

I may have arrived a bit late to this topic.I have used the mirror function on occasion and been baffled by the loss of constraints when using the function.I had hoped that by constraining all the elements prior to applying the mirror function,I wouldn't have to go through the whole process again.Yet it was necessary.Did I do something wrong?
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

routalot wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:19 pm Did I do something wrong?
It states quite clearly in the wiki that no extra symmetry constraints will be added.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

routalot wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:19 pm Did I do something wrong?
You better keep the sketches simple and use a mirror on the feature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.