Where is it broken? I cannot extrude.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gooddealonly

Re: Where is it broken? I cannot extrude.

Post by gooddealonly »

This is my first modeling of an object base on what limited FreeCAD I have learned so far. In my 2D thinking, I only think about breaking down the parts layer by layer on how to make each layer work and build on that. Of course, there are numerous ways to model this part, but I know very little.

I finished the design, exported and 3D printed the model. A few dimensions need to be changed. I am enjoying the process. FreeCAD is a complex software and it will take me a while to learn it.

Thank for the help and comments. I definitely will look into the sketch validation tool. I didn't even know about it.
Attachments
PopUpCleaner_3D.jpg
PopUpCleaner_3D.jpg (436.33 KiB) Viewed 289 times
PopUpCleaner.jpg
PopUpCleaner.jpg (594.29 KiB) Viewed 289 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

heda wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:33 pm why not make it so that the close button in the sketch automatically runs validate sketch for open verts?
Because sketches also have other uses than padding/revolving and similar operations. They can serve as a path for a sweep for instance. Then the profile is not closed.

However, a tool for better recognition and fixing of missing coincidences (where two points have the same coordinates but are disconnected) would be great. But that's a topic for a separate discussion.
FredCailloux

Post by FredCailloux »

gooddealonly wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:42 pm I finished the design, exported and 3D printed the model. A few dimensions need to be changed. I am enjoying the process.
While reading your post I can feel your enthusiasm. Myself a newbie with FreeCAD I recently 3D printed my first part too.
And, boy, was I impressed ! It is a great feeling to create something out of an idea. While we did not invent FreeCAD nor 3D printers, still, creating a real physical piece of plastic gives me a great kick. :D
Great results only comes with great understanding. Great memory is just an illusion.