Civil Engineering Design functions

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Civil Engineering Design functions

Post by Kunda1 »

Related threads
Civil engineering feature implementation (a continuation to this thread)
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22277

New experimental feature: Hi-res property in Arch (indirectly related but shows arch examples of a cityscape)
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 45#p172245
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

microelly2 wrote:ping
@microelly2 I'm working on improving the FC Addon Manager. I'm doing this by improving the descriptions of all current addons and also working on the metadata side for a pre-requisite dependency checker

I was hoping we could add more comprehensive README.md for your Geodata and nurbs repos.
Specifically:
  • add a repo summary
  • add a more comprehensive 'about' section
  • add the 'freecad' tag/subject to the repo
  • add installation instructions
  • add a screenshot or animated gif
  • add your YouTube links
  • a link back to this thread for further discussion or whatever you deem fit
  • Roadmap
  • Development guidelines for those who wish to contribute
  • eventually add a metadata file for each addon
Thoughts?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Kunda1 wrote:
microelly2 wrote:ping
@microelly2 I'm working on improving the FC Addon Manager. I'm doing this by improving the descriptions of all current addons and also working on the metadata side for a pre-requisite dependency checker

I was hoping we could add more comprehensive README.md for your Geodata and nurbs repos.
Specifically:
  • add a repo summary
  • add a more comprehensive 'about' section
  • add the 'freecad' tag/subject to the repo
  • add installation instructions
  • add a screenshot or animated gif
  • add your YouTube links
  • a link back to this thread for further discussion or whatever you deem fit
  • Roadmap
  • Development guidelines for those who wish to contribute
  • eventually add a metadata file for each addon
Thoughts?

Good to have this task list. I think I can do all this step by step next weeks.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

microelly2 wrote: Good to have this task list. I think I can do all this step by step next weeks.
Any progress? ;)
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:19 pm
microelly2 wrote: Good to have this task list. I think I can do all this step by step next weeks.
Any progress? ;)
At the moment I learn doxygen for python
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

I have started to publish with doxygen,
a lot of possibilities and a lot of work ...

https://freecadbuch.de/doxygen/geodat/html/index.html

at the moment there is a list of the videos and some first module documentation.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

microelly2 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:57 pm I have started to publish with doxygen,
a lot of possibilities and a lot of work ...

https://freecadbuch.de/doxygen/geodat/html/index.html

at the moment there is a list of the videos and some first module documentation.
@microelly2 nice work so far!
suhasj123

Post by suhasj123 »

I am giving some point here for about design functions as follow
Modeling:

This is the heart of structural design. When you start sketching the model, there are several options. You can either draw it in a grid or use a template.

You can also import the file from Auto-CAD and even see the supposed image of your model after creation. The following steps are done in modelling
Materials

Some of the most used materials are pre-defined in the software. The material which suits to our building is taken. For designing a concrete building, we choose concrete as the material for beams, columns and slabs. The walls could either be of masonry or concrete depending on the loads coming on the building. Other materials like steel and aluminium are also used in the construction. For the concrete section, rebar are used for reinforcement.

Other material properties are:
Steel:
Modulus of elasticity of steel, E
Poisson’s ratio, µ
Steel density
Yield strength of steel, Fy
Concrete:
Basic strength of concrete, Fck
Density of concrete

Geometry

Beams and columns are given length, width and depth. Slab is given thickness and the slab type is defined as membrane element which is to represent only the in-plane stiffness of the members.
Boundary conditions:

To select a proper boundary condition has an important role in structural analysis. The modeling of support conditions at expansion joints and bearings require a careful consideration of continuity of each translational and rotational component of displacement.

It is natural to use simple supports for a static analysis.
Load calculation:

The loads needed for the building are defined here. The software takes the loads according to the code IS 456:2000 which is pre-installed. The loads which are defined and applied to the building are:

Dead load: Load on a structure due to its own weight.
Live load: This is the load due to moving weight. The live load differs for different structure types.
Earthquake load: This load is the total force that an earthquake can exert on a structure.
Wind load: This is a distinct load on the structure due to the intensity of the wind.

Load application:

Here the loads are applied on the sections and slab and the seismic and the wind loads are employed by software. If the wall is not included then the frame loads are put on the beams.
Load combination:

It’s our duty to design a safe and serviceable structure and in order to do so we must predict the magnitudes of various loads that are likely to be applied to the structure over its lifetime.

Hence to account for the probability of the simultaneous application of various load types, several load combinations are applied on the structure.

These load combinations can be created by selecting the Indian code and also with the help of auto load combinations where they are generated by the software.
Analysis:

The structure will be analyzed. Results from the analysis like displacements, responses, bending moment, shear forces, storey drifts can be seen on the structure. It displays results in graphical forms and also display real time-history displacements and yield reports. The deformed geometry of the building can be portrayed based on any loads or any combination of loads.
Design:

A concrete design is done as per IS 456:2000 and the steel design is done according to IS 800. After the information needed for the design is shared, the software performs the design for every structural element. The design is created, depending on the need.

Details are provided in some software, where the rebar used must be defined. The detailed components include concrete beams, columns and walls, steel framing, beam schedules, column schedules and connections.
Result:

After the structural analysis, it is created to find out the steel used for the reinforcement for columns and beams. Results from the analysis like displacements, bending moment, shear forces, storey drifts could be seen on the structure. For columns, the axial forces that come on it, the bending moment and the shear forces can be obtained.
Some important points to be considered:
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@suhasj123
Interesting post but in the wrong topic. Your post is about structural design, this topic is about civil engineering design.

You should have a look at FreeCAD FEM Workbench and FEM topic of the Forum. There are various topics about structural design. I would recommend to read this post before you get started with FreeCAD FEM. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12212

bernd
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Interesting post but in the wrong topic. Your post is about structural design, this topic is about civil engineering design.
That's my fault. Technically, structural design is civil engineering. :) Should have focused it a bit by specifying this is about transportation engineering...
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers