Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
grd

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by grd »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:39 pm
grd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:41 am Then just continue on. But don't complain when it's slow or stopped working, or unnecessary complex. Because this is fundamental.
Why do you think a project with 1000 files would be any less unwieldy than a limited number of files?
Because it is complexity. In Pro/E and SW/SE everything is separate. So the drawing doesn't need to update it's own because that is placed inside a different file. That file is only updated when you open that file. And the drawing is also stored inside that file, not inside another file, so you don't get all the information stored in ONE file but stored separate.

About assemblies, well I trust Zolko in his opinion, but that should also only be an assy, with volumes and curves, csys, lines etc, but not with solids. This also counts for Sheet-Metal Cuts for instance. Each operation in an assembly should have it's own assembly. Otherwise it becomes a mess.

With parts and bodies the same thing. A part should be a part and that is it. When you have instances that should be an instance and that is again it.

That way you separate everything and it becomes much more logical, but FC allows everything. That is very much like the NX way of working, but also at NX they start to realize that having all this features might not be the best thing to do.
It certainly would not reduce disk I/O (probably increase it actually).

Each Sketch associated with a model would need to be accessed for every recompute. And, every change in a sketch would mean accessing ever other file in the model.
I am not talking about that. I am talking about reducing complexities by separating it. When you only allow ONE body inside a part it becomes much easier to handle the mind. The same counts for assemblies and drawings.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Fusion360 has hiked its prices once again. Brace yourselves, CADfugees are coming

Post by GeneFC »

grd wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:36 pm In which forum should I be in to add these suggestions?
This is the correct ****FORUM****. It is not the correct ****TOPIC****. (Is that loud enough? :lol: )

Start a new topic instead of highjacking this one.

Gene
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:22 pm This is the correct ****FORUM****. It is not the correct ****TOPIC****.
I agree with that, but also i think he means with forum which subforum. I think Open discussion is fine.

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

That's where we are, it should be in a new topic, perhaps a mod can split the conversation? I have things to say on the matter but I don't want to keep polluting this thread.
Lonfor

Post by Lonfor »

grd wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:11 am I have no experience with Catia but with Pro/E and NX yes, I have tons of experience with those packages, and also SW. To say that it's wrong, that is wrong.
If I understand well what are you talking about, your issue is about to have different file extensions for Part, Assembly and Drawing.
I use NX and I can affirm that it uses just one file type, .PRT, for all of them. PRT is a container that can have or Part, or an Assembly, or a Drawing, but it can also contain all of them at the same time. :!:
BTW, it works great. :)
grd

Post by grd »

I created a new post. It's named Splitting complexity.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

If the amount of comments here was actually code it all would be fixed by now. :lol:
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

If only this were the matrix and I could upload the requisite skillsets directly into my brain... :P :geek: :P
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

obelisk79 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:51 pm If only this were the matrix and I could upload the requisite skillsets directly into my brain... :P :geek: :P
Then everyone will be an expert, you know how annoying that's gonna be.