Create a New Sketch Tool: Don't Edit Existing Sketch?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Create a New Sketch Tool: Don't Edit Existing Sketch?

Post by bejant »

As Jim mentioned in his post in the "Hide Sketch Remap Tool thread:
... the "create new sketch" icon on the tool bar, opens the existing sketch if you have one selected in the treeview. I just find it annoying, I have many times accidentally opened a sketch when I wanted a new one. If I wanted to edit a sketch I would do so via the item in treeview ...
I have done this too many times as well, and I wonder if this tool:
should just be "Create a New Sketch" and not also serve to edit an existing Sketch. (But to be fair the tooltip does read: "Create a new or edit the selected sketch".)

When I want to edit a Sketch I could right-click it in the tree view and "Edit Sketch" in the pop-up window is right next to the cursor, but I usually just double-click it in the tree view. I think opening an existing Sketch is easy enough and the "edit sketch" portion of the tool button is more of a hindrance and would like to know what others think about this.

This reminded me of something else but I'll start a new thread for that topic.
quick61
Veteran

Re: Create a New Sketch Tool: Don't Edit Existing Sketch?

Post by quick61 »

This happens allot with me as well. Most often when I am creating a shape and path for Sweep or 2 shapes for loft. IMO what needs to happen is after the New or Edit is complete, closing the edit should deselect the Sketch that was being used. In other words, issue a "deselect all" type command at the closing of the Edit Sketch dialog. I think this would remove about 90% or more of the problem.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I agree on this. It is very inconvenient at the moment because you always have to make sure that nothing is selected which requires an additional click inside the 3d view.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Wow, you're fast! Thanks Werner.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

bejant wrote:Wow, you're fast! Thanks Werner.
Yes, thank you! That is working great! :D

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
DevJohan

Post by DevJohan »

Hi,

Perhaps the toolbar icons for opening and closing sketch should be a toggle button. Now two mutually (I think) exclusive icons are in the toolbar.

Just a thought,
Johan
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Perhaps the toolbar icons for opening and closing sketch should be a toggle button. Now two mutually (I think) exclusive icons are in the toolbar.
Possible but then one has to constantly query the status of the selected sketch and change the status of the button to on or off accordingly. If we decide to combine the commands then I would still use a normal tool button.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

The sketch stay selected was a trick. Normally if you close a sketch you want to go on and make a Pad or Pocket on it. So you just have to click Pad or Pocket command without reselecting the sketch.

With the Body feature (in Assembly branch) we don't need that trick anymore, since the Pad/Pocket command knows the last created sketch by the Body object...
Stop whining - start coding!