New "Structures" Toolbar

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: New "Structures" Toolbar

Post by Zolko »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:27 pm Making datum objects global has been discussed before and wmayer had said they can't be as long as they are in PD.
OK, that gives an objective for v0.21 then !
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I guess we could refer to this issue for that request: issue #6009
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:22 pm I'm not sure if datum objects fit into the structure toolbar
I agree. We should not expand standard toolbars. There is already a huge collection of icons at the top of the screen.

A separate user-controlled toolbar is the way to go.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I meant in terms of concept rather than in terms of space but that's a good point to make it a separate toolbar too!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

obelisk79 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:36 am Place all datum objects into a dropdown menu button in the following order:
Datum Plane
Datum LCS
Datum Axis
Datum Point
I think that hierarchical wise the logic order should be:
Datum LCS
Datum Plane
Datum Axis
Datum Point

Since a LCS locks 6 dofs and a Plane only 3 dofs
drmacro wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:42 am The Std_Part being on the left and new Body to the right has always been a point of confusion for new users.

It is normal to think that the location implies some sort of precedent of workflow. Many assume the required workflow is to create a Std_Part, then a Body, then sketch/Pad/Pocket/etc. This is fine for those who know the Std_Part is not required and is fine if you have specific need (i.e. quasi assembly).
I have no problem with moving icons(incl functions) around but i think it should be useful from user perspective. So only adding the icons to the structure toolbar is only useful if they are removed from others. What i say now is probably also a separate topic... Currently Part has two functions.
1) a Workbench
2) The wrapper of OCCT
Maybe FC should breakdown these two functions. Of course this can end in more than two separate functions for example:
1) Wrapper
2) A Workbench (Please don't call it part)
3) Set of general tools that can used everywhere.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Let's not devolve into a Part renaming war again...