[Feature Request] Rectangle from 3 corners

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

[Feature Request] Rectangle from 3 corners

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

the Sketcher CreateRectangle Center tool is one of my favourite features added to 0.20. It's really handy. However, I'd like to suggest adding one more tool for rectangles - rectangle from 3 corners. Like this:

3 corner rectangle.JPG
3 corner rectangle.JPG (84.12 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

It could be useful for example to fit a rectangle in existing space in the model or when drawing a skewed rectangle (this tool would not make all the edges horizontal/vertical):

3 corner rectangle 2.JPG
3 corner rectangle 2.JPG (61.65 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

What do you think about this ? Would it be easy to implement such a tool ?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Rectangle from 3 corners

Post by adrianinsaval »

Sounds like something useful actually
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This could be indeed handy, but I'm not sure if it is really a common use case justifying the effort. Please note that there is already the tool Sketcher RemoveAxesAlignment to ease creation of such rectangles.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Piero69

Post by Piero69 »

yes @chrisb removeAxesAlignment exists but you need two steps to make an intent. with a "smart rectangle tool" (like implemented in slot) you can sketch immediatly your intent without running about other command

definitely "smart rectangle tool" +1
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:29 pm This could be indeed handy, but I'm not sure if it is really a common use case justifying the effort. Please note that there is already the tool Sketcher RemoveAxesAlignment to ease creation of such rectangles.
Yes, but I'm talking not only about this way of applying constraints to rectangles while creating them but mainly about being able to create them based on 3 corners which is useful in many cases. For example when you have a single horizontal line to which you want to snap with a rectangle.

Such a tool is very common in other CAD software (pretty much always available) and is used nearly as often as the centered rectangle.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Piero69 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:50 am definitely "smart rectangle tool" +1
I think terms like 'smart' in relation to tools is something that should be avoided, even if it is common in similar software. But I'm just arguing semantics here.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

With Creo the 3 point rectangle is rectangle i used i think by 95% or so. I personal would set that as the standard rectangle

I agree on not using the term smart ... whatever. Most of the time it is not smart enough, and it thinks for me at moments i don't want too. Quite often it is a bit like this commercial:

phpBB [video]
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

@Jee-Bee check your video !
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

On my side it is the one i expected... what i meant is the voice over, until the moment she see the Alfa Romeo...
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:30 am I agree on not using the term smart ... whatever. Most of the time it is not smart enough
Reminds me of my first encounter with "AI" more than 40 years ago when working with LISP. The working definition of "AI" was something that seems special today, but will become commonplace in the next few years.

Most computing advances are just like that, neither "artificial" nor "smart" in the near future. 8-)

Gene