[Feature Request] Rectangle from 3 corners

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Rectangle from 3 corners

Post by Jee-Bee »

Can somebody make a split because were kind of off topic.. (But i like this off topic :lol: )
And please split my first post twice because it makes sense in both

I had a few weeks back a meeting with a company that dit something with PLC's, Robots etc. And the guy spoke about IOT and that they did the same in the 80's but it didn't had a fancy name like now :o
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Frankly, there is no need for a split or for further discussion. The feature request has been made.

Gene
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:30 am With Creo the 3 point rectangle is rectangle i used i think by 95% or so. I personal would set that as the standard rectangle
I think that I would leave the 2-corner rectangle as the default tool for rectangles (it's also the case in other CAD software) but I agree that the 3-corner rectangle is very useful and I also use it frequently in commercial CAD programs. Thus, it would be cool to use it in FreeCAD.

Meanwhile, I created a GitHub FR for this: issue #7221

May I ask the Sketcher masters @abdullah and @paddle for opinion ?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Maybe it is possible to create a property in the parameters Editor(Please).

Does FC store the last used drop down option? If yes does it restore it after closing FC? If yes then i probably use only the 3 point rectangle...
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:30 pm Does FC store the last used drop down option? If yes does it restore it after closing FC? If yes then i probably use only the 3 point rectangle...
Some CAD programs (like SolidWorks) indeed use the last selected tool as the main one displayed in the drop-down list even after restarting. In FreeCAD it also works like this except for the fact that restarting resets this back to the original setting.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

that could be a separate feature request, personally I would just use a keyboard shortcut or a custom toolbar with the one you use.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Actually I have been thinking about 3 points rectangle while refactoring the rectangle DSH with tool settings.
Though I have not gone ahead and added it because it was already quite a complex tool, and I wasn't even sure it was a wanted feature.
But I can definitely add it later on. Though that will probably be for after we merge current refactoring.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

@paddle Thank you for the reply. It's nice that you were also thinking about such a feature. It would be great if you could add it in the future. This thread shows that there's a quite big interest in this very handy tool.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

For this rectangle, instead of 2 horizontal and 2 vertical, we need 2 parallel constraints.

Then the question is, for the normal rectangle (and center rectangle) should we change from 2 horizontal and 2 vertical to 2 parallel + 1 horizontal? @chrisb

Also another question: should we also have a mode of 3 points rectangle by center?
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:31 am Also another question: should we also have a mode of 3 points rectangle by center?
Yes, that would be great. In fact, I was thinking about requesting that one too. Other CAD programs (like SolidWorks) also have it.