[UI improvement] Put wb selector, menubar and doc tabs in 'Top bar''

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

Re: [UI improvement] Put wb selector, menubar and doc tabs in 'Top bar''

Post by paddle »

So overall I seem to understand that regarding the tabs, you guys don't really like the idea. And mixed feelings about the wb selector.

But for merging the menu bar to the window bar I think everyone think it would be an improvement right? At least for windows and mac as linux seems more complex.

Anyone knowing the main GUI would be interested to work on this? I had a look at MainWindow.cpp and Application.cpp but as I don't know that part of code it'll take me ages.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: [UI improvement] Put wb selector, menubar and doc tabs in 'Top bar''

Post by GeneFC »

paddle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:45 pm But for merging the menu bar to the window bar I think everyone think it would be an improvement right? At least for windows and mac as linux seems more complex.
Careful!

Windows 11 is changing a lot of stuff in the UI. A proper change may not be easy or lasting. I believe that top bar is primarily the domain of the OS, not the application.

Personally, I have no interest in this change, but that is irrelevant. A much bigger problem is the ever-increasing width of task panels, including Sketcher and others.

Gene