dimensioning diameters on flat lines

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

dimensioning diameters on flat lines

Post by Jee-Bee »

@paddle @abdullah.

I have a question (/ potentially a feature request). And that is as follows.
I have an object for example this:

for whatever reason i need to model it and i use the sketcher - and then the revolve.
The thing is that when measuring the objkect i measure the diameter values. For modeling i need the radius. Does it makes sense to use the diameter tool also for this kind of tricks.
For example select a axis(Currently only the main axis since we can't create them from sketcher) and a flat line so that we create something like this(but without the blue lines - and with diameter symbols):
Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 17.05.30.png
Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 17.05.30.png (87.17 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: dimensioning diameters on flat lines

Post by NewJoker »

Actually, I was going to create a feature request for this. Something like that is available for example in SolidWorks. Of course, you can dimension the radius and input the value as diameter/2 (calculations like that are supported) but it would be convenient if there was an option to dimension the diameter based on the X or Y axis.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Good to know that i'm not the only one that thought about this feature!
Yeah i know that i can use calculations during dimensioning... I only forgot it during writing the question.
as of now i think i would use it on the blue lines - to still get a physical representation.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I support this too. Although it seems on first sight a bit cumbersome it would be very convenient for sketch based revolves and mirrors. Now I often use constant expressions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

In SW it works in such a way that the smart dimension tool changes to diameter when a user creates a dimension between a line and a centerline (SW has a separate type of construction lines for that, quite useful as well) and drags the dimension label to the other side of the centerline:

dim.JPG
dim.JPG (22.99 KiB) Viewed 1408 times

There are also tools for this type of dimensioning in technical drawings.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

I remember in CATIA, it is solved with an extra type of geometry, axis. This is pretty similar to the construction mode, except every measure/value from it is doubled.

Ah, while writing is see that @NewJoker write the same with SW, which is also from DS.

I think that deserves a feature request.

Greetings
user1234
bleber

Post by bleber »

I make a suggestion like these in the past, I thing that it is a valuable feature to speeding sketch from drawing in revolve profiles.
Maybe new type of diameter/radius tool. Selectable from context? These tool is used when select 2 points or a line to constraint radius or diameter. The other use cases you select arcs or circles.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

bleber wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:26 pm Maybe new type of diameter/radius tool. Selectable from context? These tool is used when select 2 points or a line to constraint radius or diameter. The other use cases you select arcs or circles.
paddle is working on contextual dimensioning constraints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7khOBhch44

Maybe he can add this option as well in the future.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

I have learned to measure only visible geometry. :geek:

A construction circle with a diameter dimension would be my choice to visualise that the diameter belongs to a circular geometry.
Even when I used Catia I avoided half diameter dimensions for aesthetic reasons 8-)
grd

Post by grd »

FBXL5 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:19 pm I have learned to measure only visible geometry. :geek:

A construction circle with a diameter dimension would be my choice to visualise that the diameter belongs to a circular geometry.
Even when I used Catia I avoided half diameter dimensions for aesthetic reasons 8-)
Why do you need to create a construction circle??? It doesn't make any sense. The only thing that you need is to double click the dimension and then the dimension should flip. That is the way to do it.

The construction circle line should then be created on its own, with the entire length of the sketch (and two mm more on both sides) and disappears when you double click the dimension again.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.