Attributing FreeCAD in workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
loopy

Attributing FreeCAD in workbench

Post by loopy »

We are building a closed source workbench for a prototype of a niche CAE simulation application.
Notes on the FreeCAD license page say
“Clearly inform your users that your application is using FreeCAD and that FreeCAD is LGPL-licensed"
Anyone have suggestion for the appropriate verbiage for an about screen or splash screen? As well as a README
mario52
Veteran

Re: Attributing FreeCAD in workbench

Post by mario52 »

hi

see Licence

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Reading the OP I think they've probably seen that already...

As I understand it an addon/workbench would still be considered derivative work so you must still share your code with the users of it so you can't really make it proprietary, same goes if you are actually going to provide a modified version of FreeCAD.
If your intention is to make an actual separate application that uses FreeCAD as a dynamically linked library or that communicates with it through some standard protocol then that is allowed to be closed source.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

First and foremost I should point out that I am not a lawyer, so take whatever I say as just pointless banter.
adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:34 pm As I understand it an addon/workbench would still be considered derivative work so you must still share your code with the users of it so you can't really make it proprietary, same goes if you are actually going to provide a modified version of FreeCAD.
This distinction is indeed significantly important. Not entirely sure who is in the position to decide it, but whether or not this interpretation is correct makes a whole lot of difference as to who can and cannot use freecad in their development (since making it proprietary may be the only option for some people).

I think we would need to find a precedent, or set one with this one. Imagine a workbench/addon developed using a compiled version of FreeCAD using only the "exposed" commands. Can that be provided as closed source, just telling the users to download FC first? If not, is there any other clear example where FC is used as a library such that the software itself can be provided wothout source? Is there a middle ground somewhere, like only so and so APIs are allowed to be used in proprietary software?

The community has taken great care to maintain the LGPL nature of this software, so we do need to make a distinction clear. Too lax, and we have room for potential abuse. Too tight, and the LGPL loses purpose.

@yorik, @wmayer could you guys give an input in this case? Most devels AFAICT maintain copyright of their own work, but you guys come closest to being able to take a decision.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLPlugins

while the page is for GPL the criteria for defining combined or separate work for plugins still applies to LGPL IMO, so I would consider a workbench to be derivative and therefore covered by the LGPL requirements. Note that making the workbench LGPL doesn't mean it can't interact with a proprietary system outside of it.

off topic but since we're talking licenses: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en ... timeAndGPL this makes me think we can't actually distribute FreeCAD bundles for widnows that include msvc dll right? Are we breaching the license? :?
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

As the licence file seems to say you could use FC to make closed source applications, if you state that FC is LGPL and your code is not modifying FC sources, if you modify FC sources you must supply sources to the user.

But I'm not a lawyer, I'm only reading what Linked Licence is saying.

If you made a WB and you instruct the user to install it in the user Mod dir, you are not modifying FC.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

jnxd wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:34 pm LGPL nature
All those licenses other than "public domain" are ridiculous, it is like a strip club, you can look but not touch ;-) haha LOL

jnxd wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:34 pm copyright of their own work
Copyright is non-transferable, you are always the author. Copyright is not the same as a license.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

dprojects wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:50 pm
jnxd wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:34 pm copyright of their own work
Copyright is non-transferable, you are always the author. Copyright is not the same as a license.
Again, I am not a lawyer, but AFAICT this principle varies by country, and FC is an international effort. What I mean is giving the "owners" of FreeCAD the permission to make certain decisions of what to do with their contributions.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

onekk wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:31 pm If you made a WB and you instruct the user to install it in the user Mod dir, you are not modifying FC.
You are modifying the program by adding a workbench, the license covers the software itself too not just it's source code. See my link to the FSF page, the people at FSF are the authors of the license so I would assume they know better than us.
dprojects wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:50 pm All those licenses other than "public domain" are ridiculous, it is like a strip club, you can look but not touch ;-) haha LOL
They are not ridiculous, they help protect volunteer work from being abused, the license itself is not always enough of course since it has to be enforced but it is necessary to have it.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

jnxd wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:18 pm Again, I am not a lawyer, but AFAICT this principle varies by country, and FC is an international effort. What I mean is giving the "owners" of FreeCAD the permission to make certain decisions of what to do with their contributions.
I am not a lawyer but I have 1-year postgraduate business law. But no matter, this not that someone need to decide if he already released the software with any license. The LGPL license describe what you can do. The law does not apply retroactively, if the program was made available under the LGPL license, it is valid for this version forever. You can only change next versions, and release with other type of license. But you can't say, give me money for the old version.

But there is something other more important, respect for the rights of others. Even if you have MIT license you need to attach the MIT license to the software and you have to clearly inform who is the author. You can't say I am the author, if you are not. You can't claim someone else's invention, it's theft. You can buy license for brand, for distribution, for profit %, but you can't buy being author. But yes, the author can sell all rights to his product, he will be author, inventor, but he can't do anything with such product.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking