Which issues will start to arrive with the splitting of complexity?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
grd

Re: Which issues will start to arrive with the splitting of complexity?

Post by grd »

user1234 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:31 pm
grd wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:16 pm Now a new guy arrives and he sees that. "What? No assy? It is a part? And bodies. What a mess."
I came originally from CATIA. For me it is absolutely clear.
You came from CATIA. There you have it. But most of the new guys here don't come from CATIA or NX. They come from SW or Inventor, F360.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
grd

Post by grd »

drmacro wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:36 pm It appears you see different as "a mess".
No. I don't think so and to be honest I don't think you are getting it. Please look at my reply to @user1234 .
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

grd wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:03 pm
drmacro wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:36 pm It appears you see different as "a mess".
No. I don't think so and to be honest I don't think you are getting it. Please look at my reply to @user1234 .
No idea what reply your refer to, please provide a link.

FreeCAD has similar concepts with different names. You don't see the names/terms you expect...you see it as a mess; I see it as a learning opportunity. 8-)

And what is it you think I don't get? :?:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

grd wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:53 pm But most of the new guys here don't come from CATIA or NX. They come from SW or Inventor, F360.
And? For them we should remove features or logic? Should we also remove FEM because F360 removed FEM? Sorry, but you should try the capabilities of it. And especially for PDM in combination of an ERP it makes more sense. I worked before in a company with Creo Direct Modeling in combination with big ERP. They only reason why they do not change to an other CAD was not the PDM, it was the Container (they named it Assembly container, but it is the same), because it is really practical. You can give it datas for the ERP, since it is one Part.

Besides that, it is also practical in CAD. In a Body, i can not add extra datas like point clouds, calculations, addition constructive geometries, or anything else. I can easily do that in a Part container and since it is one Part, it belongs there (also you can show/hide it in an assembly, like slider directions in a injection molding part, or stream lines in a runner blade or whatever). Also a part can have more then one Body, minimal example, a roller bearing. It is one Part, but not an assembly (except you are a bearing manufacture). See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71091.

Greetings
user1234
grd

Post by grd »

drmacro wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:12 pm
grd wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:03 pm
No idea what reply your refer to, please provide a link.

FreeCAD has similar concepts with different names. You don't see the names/terms you expect...you see it as a mess; I see it as a learning opportunity. 8-)

And what is it you think I don't get? :?:
This is the reply: "You came from CATIA. There you have it. But most of the new guys here don't come from CATIA or NX. They come from SW or Inventor, F360."
Last edited by grd on Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grd

Post by grd »

user1234 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:13 pm And? For them we should remove features or logic?
Of course NOT !
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

grd wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:30 pm Of course NOT !
Then what is the point? I use the structure and it is dam good, even better as CATIA. Just said, i never said it is the same as CATIA, it is similar, but not the same.

Greetings
user1234
grd

Post by grd »

user1234 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:40 pm Then what is the point?
Please read what I said !
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

grd wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:54 pm Please read what I said !
I have and make no sense to me. If you do not want to use it, just do not use it. The good thing is, that you are not forced to use it.

Greetings
user1234
quiret

Post by quiret »

I would like to add that you should not restrict your vision of CAD to a particular program's implementation. In this thread there was a mention of how Body and Part tools have similar functionality. And guess what: the similarities come from the mathematical modelling based on matrix equations forming the local coordinate systems! So please do not complain that there are multiple things inside of FreeCAD which happen to overlap. Overlapping of program possibilities is great! It is what makes programs intuitive for others which prefer things in a different way.

It is a whole 'nother story if you want to discuss what possibilities are implemented through one path inside FreeCAD or another. There happen to be certain FreeCAD document hierarchies which according to mathematical models can be computed but where the implementation is lacking. But since FreeCAD is just a software maintained by volunteers you should not complain too harshly. And then there are people leaving which implemented things in the past and I guess never come to improve the things. The real world is complicated, you see. :roll:

Thus, this complexity you are talking about ain't no easy topic, see?