New Sketch icons "make pocket sketch, make pad sketch"

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Haavard

Re: New Sketch icons "make pocket sketch, make pad sketch"

Post by Haavard »

freedman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:27 am I got some time to do a little macro work. Here is a video; in the start of the video the front face has been selected, looks kind of odd.
For this demo I have another macro running that keeps me in 3D perspective. Much better viewing.
Cool! :idea:
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

freedman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:27 am...
I wouldn't like such a feature in the Sketcher WB, but a Quick Pad/Cut would fit well in the Sketch tool box of PartDesign.

Did I get it right that after your tool has finished all created Pads, Pockets, and Sketches don't differ from "traditionally" created ones?

An optional dialog to set a depth/height is yet missing, but I'm certain that you already have that on your feature list.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

chrisb, wrote Do you plan to add a length field to the macro?
Yes, I will. Just simple +- 1mm steps. Properties can resolve the details.

TNP will be an issue. I recommend using the tools that map sketches to standard planes and keep their locations.

Using the macro is very addictive, once you start using it you don't want to use the old way really quick. My goals with the macro are just to prove a path for Master, we will see what comes of it.
FBXL5 wrote
I wouldn't like such a feature in the Sketcher WB, but a Quick Pad/Cut would fit well in the Sketch tool box of PartDesign.
It actually is a PartDesign tool.
Did I get it right that after your tool has finished all created Pads, Pockets, and Sketches don't differ from "traditionally" created ones?
That's correct, it's a short cut but the model is identical.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Haavard wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:07 am
freedman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:10 am The concept allows the user to create what will happen when they sketch, not after the fact. For instance I want to create a hole in a face, I click the face and select #2 above.
Why not:
- Click "Pad/Hole/Cut" with no sketches in the model tree
- New sketch is made automatically, and the sketch plane selector comes up
- Click on a plane, face or whereever you want to sketch, and start sketching
- When you close the sketch, the pad/hole/cut function is started automatically, and you see the preview of the result

This is how SW does it, and is wonderful. A lot less clicking and feels really smooth and intuitive. No extra icons are needed.
+1 this feels smooth and doesn't break anything, just define an unused case.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Bit of a gimmick in my opinion...

Actually, the one place this might be really handy is for the Hole feature...
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Bance wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:05 am Bit of a gimmick in my opinion...

+1

Worthy of putting in Addon manager for those who find it useful.

Adding these sort of things (I suppose QOL to some) should be left to the user to streamline their personal workflows...AFTER they learn and understand basic workflow. Adding to the standard toolbars just adds to the "UI is so cluttered, too many workbenches, etc." sentiments.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

freedman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:30 am Yes, I will. Just simple +- 1mm steps. Properties can resolve the details.

TNP will be an issue. I recommend using the tools that map sketches to standard planes and keep their locations.
It could be useful to create quick and dirty concepts that are refined in later steps. I like this idea.

I hope the macro is more than a proof of concept when TNP is resolved and integrated into the master.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

FBXL5 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:40 pm
freedman wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:30 am Yes, I will. Just simple +- 1mm steps. Properties can resolve the details.

It could be useful to create quick and dirty concepts that are refined in later steps. I like this idea.

I hope the macro is more than a proof of concept when TNP is resolved and integrated into the master.
There is always TopoX10 now.

And, also the plane from face macros: https://github.com/sebasg84/planeFromFace
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."