New macro " Wise2", targeting effeciency and sketch + feature

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

New macro " Wise2", targeting effeciency and sketch + feature

Post by freedman »

The name stands for 'Work in Sketch edit" (Wise).

Edit: The lastest version, Wise2 is here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 01#p621001
I think all the following videos are still good, Wise2 has some additions.

1) Sketch feature creates an empty sketch using the feature you select. The only type I currently have working is the Sketch Pocket.
2) Reposition Sketch origin allows you to move the sketch origin to a targeted place.

This is a prior topic:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71157

The option "Sketch 3D view" allows you to move back and forth 3D to Normal, the sketch opening follows suite.

X-Ray allows you to see inside or not in the Active Body.

Reposition Sketch origin allows you to place a vertex and then dimension it, then click on the vertex and the sketch origin will move there, once placed the target vertex is erased. Notice in the video under "Sketch offsets", you see the selected sketch attachment offset after the origin is moved.

The opened sketch can be rotated on the Z axis in real time.

The opened sketch feature cut depth can be changed in real time.

I created this macro to increase the speed and ease with which I can model, it's working! On my dual monitor system I used to mouse back and forth, it was exhausting and was wearing me out.

I will post a couple more videos showing additional features and ways to use the new features.
Attachments
repo5.gif
repo5.gif (579.84 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
Last edited by freedman on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: New macro " WIS1", Targeting effeciency and sketch + feature

Post by Kunda1 »

Cool!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freedman
Veteran

Re: New macro " WIS1", targeting effeciency and sketch + feature

Post by freedman »

Here is another video. I start out with a block 180 x 150 (X and Y). I add a point on the block face in the middle and constrain it (video starts), then I move the sketch origin to center and name the sketch "sk001_center" and leave it as a reference for future work.

You can see the process, create a sketch feature on the face and then click on "Reposition sketch origin" with a difference, we click on a sketch in the tree instead of a vertex, this copies the sketch offset of the selection into our current opened sketch. This gives us an easy way to align many sketches.

It looks like I forgot an Import so I an posting a new version, I renamed it to "Wise1" for 'Work in Sketch Edit'.
I also misspelled reposition. :)
Attachments
sunk2.gif
sunk2.gif (965.64 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
freedman
Veteran

Re: New macro " Wise1", targeting effeciency and sketch + feature

Post by freedman »

One more video of an interesting situation; You need to place a flange connection on the end of a oddly placed shape face.

Steps I took. First thing I needed was some kind of reference on the face so I used Face Sketch which creates the new Sketch003. Editing Sketch003 I needed to get a sketch reference so I created a vertex, constrained it to the arc center, then applied Reposition sketch origin and erased all the reference sketch stuff. I then used Sketch feature to the face and duplicated the origin with a sketch applied Reposition sketch origin. Then make my flange outline and rotate the layout, just for fun.

This is one of the harder things to do in CAD (attaching and dimensioning on a indiscriminate face), this was pretty easy.
Attachments
bent_shape1.gif
bent_shape1.gif (856.83 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

OK, this is my last video for a while. I had to get all the Sketch Feature options working, now I can relax and work. So now I don't need to go create a sketch for Pad, Pocket, Revolve, Groove, I just click on the face and essentially start sketching in solids. I will use the macro for a few days and post it as Wise2, I think I'm done with this tool. I like it! :) I am working with so much less effort.

In case you don't want to read the whole thread; after a face selection you select Sketch Feature, the macro will create a new sketch, then it assigns the selected feature and opens an empty sketch for you to work in. As you sketch FreeCAD generates the solids because it has all the info it needs to process.

This really highlights how stable and powerful the App is today. Thanks developers....
Attachments
all_solid.gif
all_solid.gif (817.95 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Last edited by freedman on Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Nice tool. Is it possible to define the rotation axis for revolve and groove?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Totally. For screen real-estate issues (small displays) maybe morphing this in to a on demand Pie-Menu would be interesting?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

+1 nice tool!

Will def play with this & explore the code once Wise2 is released.

thanks
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

what's the purpose of having sketcher commands in the widget if using the regular commands works the same? (circle, rectangle, etc.)
It looks like you are using checkboxes for everything, which doesn't make much sense, why not buttons?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

adrianinsaval wrote
what's the purpose of having sketcher commands in the widget if using the regular commands works the same? (circle, rectangle, etc.)
It looks like you are using checkboxes for everything, which doesn't make much sense, why not buttons?
I put the sketcher commands in as a test and as a default selection. I worked on that concept a little more and now you can select a checkbox for a circle for instance, everytime you start a sketch feature the circle is automatically selected, this is hopefully saving mouse clicks. You can also uncheck all of them to get no default.

I wanted to use buttons but the layout makes them huge compared to a checkbox so it's about real estate. I don't have time for a custom layout.

It looks like I made a mistake with a copy/paste so I am removing Wise1, it didn't align the new sketch to the active body correctly in all cases.
chrisb wrote
Is it possible to define the rotation axis for revolve and groove?
Maybe, that would certainly be my next addition. Not sure how to do it with all the options but I will look.

I'm running low on real estate height. My monitors are big so I have no issues but on a laptop things are getting tight.
Maybe this could be a fly-out or a slide-out , something that would preserve screen space.

Thanks
Last edited by freedman on Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.