[Poll] Remove 'Copy' 'Cut' 'Paste' 'Print' icons from toolbar.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Remove 'Copy' 'Cut' 'Paste' 'Print' icons from toolbar.

Yes remove them.
71%
No keep it as it is.
12%
Remove them, but create another toolbar for them.
17%

Total votes: 41
paddle
Veteran

[Poll] Remove 'Copy' 'Cut' 'Paste' 'Print' icons from toolbar.

Post by paddle »

Idea is to remove 'print' 'cut' 'copy' 'paste' as those don't feel necessary. (Mostly) everyone know Ctrl + X C V P and print is rarely used. And you have File menu where it would make more sens to find them.

Someone brought up that some people may have trouble using ctrl X C V. So it has been proposed that another toolbar could be created for those tools. Though it feels like it will be usefull to very very few people and adds an additional toolbar. So I'm personally against it. I feel that custom toolbars goal is exactly for those 'special cases'.

See discussion here for more barckground : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71891

Please vote and share your opinion.
Thanks
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: [Poll] Remove 'Copy' 'Cut' 'Paste' 'Print' icons from toolbar.

Post by NewJoker »

In my opinion, the availability of these options in the File and Edit menus should be a sufficient alternative to keyboard shortcuts.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

paddle wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:22 am I feel that custom toolbars goal is exactly for those 'special cases'.
I don't something so common as cut/copy/paste should be considered 'special cases', I say make another toolbar for cut copy and paste but make it hidden by default, print can go to the menu.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

By 'special case' I meant people who don't use ctrl-C X V
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I guess this one was a little less clear-cut in the poll because of the third option, but I still believe there is enough support to justify the merge: git commit 3b7350d37.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for cleaning Sketcher toolbar! (The same should go to the other topics too).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chennes wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:45 pm I guess this one was a little less clear-cut in the poll because of the third option, but I still believe there is enough support to justify the merge: git commit 3b7350d37.
what about print? I see you kept it.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:16 pm
chennes wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:45 pm I guess this one was a little less clear-cut in the poll because of the third option, but I still believe there is enough support to justify the merge: git commit 3b7350d37.
what about print? I see you kept it.
Sorry - just a mistake on my part with the merge commit from a previous change. I'll remove print as well.

ETA: Fixed in git commit ea9a04e46.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Thanks chennes!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

continued from: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 39#p634339
easyw-fc wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:23 pm no
what feature was removed? it's all still perfectly accesible to those who need them.
in which way you can re-activate the 'copy paste' buttons toolbar? a part customizing the 'global toolbar', operation not really friendly for a noobie?
whit this I agree, hence my vote to put it in a separate toolbar so that it may be easily shown/hidden, but with the changes that where already merged I was actually able to organize my toolbars in a more satisfactory manner now that I'm not wasting space with commands that I (and most people out there) would never actually click on.
sense for whom? As I already pointed out 31% of the people said it didn't make sense on 29 people over 45000...
no, 17% say they didn't like the change, but didn't actually provide a compelling reason why we should waste space with these commands there, so these opinions don't provide anything of value IMO. 14% thought it should be in a separate toolbar so that it may be easily show or hidden by whoever wanted it. Besides that, the poll is not the deciding factor.
i.e. in LO:
copy-paste-default.png
yeah but on the other hand have a look at kate, kdevelop, krita, gimp, blender, solvespace, onshape, solidworks (I think?).