[Feature Request] Concentric constraint in the Sketcher [SOLVED]

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bleber

Re: [Feature Request] Concentric constraint in the Sketcher

Post by bleber »

Of my point of view:
If a straight line is an arc of infinite diameter, then if you make 2 lines parallel then they teorically can share same center. In consecuence parallel constraint can ve aplicable to lines and arcs and circles.
If you asume the past sentences, concentric circles and parallel lines can ve set using the same type of parallel tool.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please start a new topic if you want to discuss a sketcher offset tool.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

I created a GitHub request for this so that it doesn't get lost here: issue #7546.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Sketcher offset is pending review. And is likely to merge before a potential concentric constraint. So this argument is moot.

I am against adding a new type of constraint, especially if it adds a tool in the toolbar as I think it's unecessary complexity.

However, why don't we simply allow users to select 2 circles/arcs when using the coincidence tool? It's easy to code, and solve the matter.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:02 pm However, why don't we simply allow users to select 2 circles/arcs when using the coincidence tool? It's easy to code, and solve the matter.
Yes, that should be sufficient as long as there are no 3D sketches in the Sketcher. It seems to be the best solution at the moment.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Yeah that's what I've been saying, it's just coincidence between the center points. Regarding offset, note that AFAIK you implemented an offset tool, but not an actual offset constraint as user1234 requests, personally I just use a subshapebinder now when I need 2d offset while using PD so I don't mind.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:05 pm
paddle wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:02 pm However, why don't we simply allow users to select 2 circles/arcs when using the coincidence tool? It's easy to code, and solve the matter.
Yes, that should be sufficient as long as there are no 3D sketches in the Sketcher. It seems to be the best solution at the moment.
Now you just need to get it accepted :)
I suggest that you open a poll on that suggestion:
"Enable selection of 2 circles/arcs with coincidence constraint, such that it can act as a concentric constraint."

If the vote is consensual enough that should be enough to convince.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:05 pm Yes, that should be sufficient as long as there are no 3D sketches in the Sketcher. It seems to be the best solution at the moment.
If 3D sketching is ever implemented it would likely be a full rewrite or separate implementation anyways so I don't think we should even care about the 3D case nuances.
paddle wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:12 pm "Enable selection of 2 circles/arcs with coincidence constraint, such that it can act as a concentric constraint."
I would say it should work for any number of circles/arcs and/or points.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:10 pm Yeah that's what I've been saying, it's just coincidence between the center points. Regarding offset, note that AFAIK you implemented an offset tool, but not an actual offset constraint as user1234 requests, personally I just use a subshapebinder now when I need 2d offset while using PD so I don't mind.
offset constraint? I'm not sure what it is. It would be a constraint that you use between 2 similar elements (2 arcs or 2 lines) ? So basically it would be distance for line and concentric + radius distance for arcs and so on?
I don't really see the point vs a offset tool. Beside the offset tool I implemented has a kind of offset constraint (actually a distance) that would modify the offset lenght between the 2 wires.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

paddle wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:12 pm I suggest that you open a poll on that suggestion:
"Enable selection of 2 circles/arcs with coincidence constraint, such that it can act as a concentric constraint."
Done :-)

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72341