[Poll] Sketcher: Task panel rework.

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Do you want those changes ?

Yes
97%
No
3%

Total votes: 30
paddle
Veteran

Re: [POLL] Sketcher: Task panel rework.

Post by paddle »

I posted a first PR for this :
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7572

This is to make the Edit control widget optional. It is currently activated by default as requested by OpenBrain.

@chennes, this is a very small PR, maybe you would be willing to check it out too?
Thanks !
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Yes, especially since it doesn't change anything unless the user takes direct action, I think it should be fine. Let me make sure it compiles and works as advertised, then I'll merge.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

OK, seems to work as advertised, merge in git commit bf04c0ea9.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chennes wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:34 pm OK, seems to work as advertised, merge in git commit bf04c0ea9.
Why is this already in? I was not aware there is a vote and the vote was not even open for at least a week. Also 9 votes is low for such a prominent change.
Also @abdullah could not state about this.

Of course, we are in normal development mode and can just try out things or make breaking changes but some more discussions would be nice.
If you decide for a poll, it would be good if there would be a separate poll for every user-visible change would be more suitable.
Please also announce such a poll in the developer's forum that the key people are informed.

Back to the change, I like it :)
Please don't forget to add a note in the release notes: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Release_notes_1.0
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:42 pm Why is this already in? I was not aware there is a vote and the vote was not even open for at least a week. Also 9 votes is low for such a prominent change.
Also @abdullah could not state about this.

Of course, we are in normal development mode and can just try out things or make breaking changes but some more discussions would be nice.
If you decide for a poll, it would be good if there would be a separate poll for every user-visible change would be more suitable.
Please also announce such a poll in the developer's forum that the key people are informed.

Back to the change, I like it :)
Please don't forget to add a note in the release notes: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Release_notes_1.0
What merged is very little, it's not the full proposal which is indeed a 'big' change.
What has merged is only the possibility to hide the 'Edit control'. Nothing is removed, just a nice additional preference.

The full proposal needs indeed more people to voice their thoughts and more time.

Regarding the wiki I don't have an account yet. I asked for it.

You say you like it but voted against it, I guess you are against the whole change then but like what merged? Please give your argument against the whole change then, it's best so that people can better choose.
Last edited by paddle on Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:42 pm Why is this already in?
It makes no immediate user-visible change, it simply adds a preference setting, right next to another nearly identical preference setting, to do something very similar to the existing option. It seems a very logical thing to have, and so I merged it. Of course if Abdullah later on objects, it is very easy to remove.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:42 pm it would be good if there would be a separate poll for every user-visible change would be more suitable.
Isn't that what is already happening?
paddle
Veteran

Re: [Poll] Sketcher: Task panel rework.

Post by paddle »

So this is done. The PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7581
@chennes I may be pushing my luck, but maybe you'll consider checking this one too ? :)
The poll is very consensual for those changes. (This include the position A for solver message as voted here : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72428)
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

No, I don’t think this poll is particularly clear, with odd structure and low participation. I’ll leave it to @abdullah to decide if it is worthwhile.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

paddle wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:38 pm So this is done. The PR: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7581
This PR is really unpolished.
I told you twice already that you have to take care because TaskSketcherGeneral UI file is also used for preferences.
That you obviously didn't check because now the 'Auto remove redundants' is duplicated there.
Also 'Auto update' isn't correctly initialized somewhere (it's enabled in the task panel, but disabled in the preferences).

Also I saw that 'Edit controls' is folded by default which isn't correct.
I will also review technically the PR (I already saw some problems) but please consider at least having some functional testing and fixes on it.