Documentation of the new Sketcher elements widget

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Documentation of the new Sketcher elements widget

Post by drmacro »

It appears this is supposed to highlight the edge, and it's vertexes.

Whether the vertex actually highlight when hover or selected in this widget seems to be random in the 3D view.

And, what is the 4th column?
Snip macro screenshot-2ddbf3.png
Snip macro screenshot-2ddbf3.png (12.62 KiB) Viewed 648 times

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) (XFCE/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.31109 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c23ee7ad88433a0f00e84afae0a62fe738be0c09
Python 3.9.2, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.5.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * parts_library
  * kicadStepUpMod 10.16.5
  * Manipulator 1.4.9
  * PrefExtras
  * QuickMeasure
  * MyDefaults 2022.9.15
  * ZolkoBase 0.0.1
  * DynamicData 2.46.0
  * fasteners 0.4.24
  * MacMechX 2022.9.15
  * ExtremeProDark 2.6.4
  * ProDarkThemePreferencePack 1.0.0
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * plugins
  * Pyramids-and-Polyhedrons
  * Defeaturing 1.2.0
  * Assembly4 0.12.4
  * BaseTest 0.0.1
  * OpticsWorkbench 1.0.9
  * workfeature-macro
  * sheetmetal 0.2.59
  * A2plus 0.4.60e
  * CurvedShapes 1.0.4
  * BasicMech 0.0.1
  * Dracula 0.0.2
  * Curves 0.6.1
  * workfeature
  * lattice2 1.0.0
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Documentation of the new Sketcher elements widget

Post by GeneFC »

I have not figured out if this will be useful after is works correctly, but it definitely has the random bugs mentioned above.

I suspect the problem is in the definition of the line direction. Which vertex should be left and which should be right?

May not be easy to solve.

Gene
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

In the image only the edge is selected. And the points are the start and end points of the object, so not necessarily the left and right most points. The 4th column is for center points.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:50 pm In the image only the edge is selected. And the points are the start and end points of the object, so not necessarily the left and right most points. The 4th column is for center points.
If there is nothing in the 4th column and the row of the edge is not selected, then the 4th column does not show. So, I specifically selected it so the column could seen and the reference my question makes is understood.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

You seem annoyed, I don't understand why though. I merely tried to explain the new task panel.

You have selected the edge of a sketch element, not it vertices, so the 1st sentence of your OP:
drmacro wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:05 pm It appears this is supposed to highlight the edge, and it's vertexes.
seems incorrect to me (depending on what is meant by 'this').
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:00 pm You seem annoyed, I don't understand why though. I merely tried to explain the new task panel.
No, not annoyed at all. I did not mean to seem so.

I was just explaining why I had the row selected for the image.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

drmacro wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:05 pm Whether the vertex actually highlight when hover or selected in this widget seems to be random in the 3D view.
are the vertex coincident with others? From my testing when several vertex are overlapped only one of those vertex is visibly highlighted when selected, the rest are always obscured by this let's say top vertex. When a line is standalone with no overlapping vertex both points are reliably highlighted when selected for me.

I believe this problem has always been there (it can be reproduced with the cumbersome controls 0.20 has too), it's just more easy to discover this thanks to this change. Also note that even when the point selection is not visible in the 3d view it is really selected and can be used for constraining, personally I found that this new buttons make it so much easier to select a specific vertex when they are overlapped.

About the columns, there's no concept of left or right here, it's start and end point which depends on the order of point inputs when creating the line, and the fourth column is for center point which only applies to geometries that do have a center point (conics)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:59 pm About the columns, there's no concept of left or right here, it's start and end point which depends on the order of point inputs when creating the line, and the fourth column is for center point which only applies to geometries that do have a center point (conics)
For arcs start and endpoint icons should be swapped. Arcs are always turning left.
@paddle
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:59 pm ...
There has always been a display order. In the past, I don't think there was a way to select lower vertexes in the display order.

If you constraint a circle center to a vertex and then constrain another circle to the same vertex is is actually constrained to the top most vertex.

As you note, if you can get one in the stack selected it does not show (easily shown with Sketcher Select origin and multiple vertexes constrained to it).
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

drmacro wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:37 pm
yes, you confirm this is the cause of the issue you where experiencing then? or are you also having trouble with standalone edges?
chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:14 pm For arcs start and endpoint icons should be swapped. Arcs are always turning left.
@paddle
turns out you are right! but this is also a problem that already existed and is now more visible, if nobody beats me to it I see if I can make a PR to swap these during the week. Are there other geometries that are like this?