Documentation of the new Sketcher elements widget

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Documentation of the new Sketcher elements widget

Post by drmacro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:28 pm
drmacro wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:37 pm
yes, you confirm this is the cause of the issue you where experiencing then? or are you also having trouble with standalone edges?
I assume so. I had jusut, what I thought I saw was highlighting sometimes, but not always.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:28 pm turns out you are right! but this is also a problem that already existed and is now more visible, if nobody beats me to it I see if I can make a PR to swap these during the week. Are there other geometries that are like this?
It seems to be the same with the conical arcs. B-splines are ok.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:37 pm There has always been a display order. In the past, I don't think there was a way to select lower vertexes in the display order.
There was a possibility: you could select the Type for the selection of elements. Alas, we see a regression here: In 0.19 a selected endpoint was always visible, independent of the stacking order.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

chrisb wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:14 am
adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:28 pm turns out you are right! but this is also a problem that already existed and is now more visible, if nobody beats me to it I see if I can make a PR to swap these during the week. Are there other geometries that are like this?
It seems to be the same with the conical arcs. B-splines are ok.
New interface is more understandable as the old 0.20 one, once some documentation is made to explain clearly "how it works".

I usually draw even Sketch in counterclockwise order expecially when dealing with arcs, but is a "bad habit" that I have taken modelling most of my time in Part WB were you are more near OCCT way of thinking (Thing that I have not totally acquired yet, but i?m improving.)

Some considerations, probably very disconneted:

From what I know underlying curves are defined using the "counterclockwise" trigonometric convention, that is the way sin, cos and tan are explained in almost any document around, at least when speaking of conicals, (I have some doubt with ellipses, but they are strange beasts :lol: ).

B_splines are not easy to guess, if you don't see the way how they are defined, are not proper "curves" as they are defined using polynomials, so probably have a little trigonometry on them. (Or maybe not as they have tangents :D ) some documentation about how they are build and about the terminology behind will be interesting to have, as "control points", knots, poles, weights are somewhat difficult to manage and tend to puzzle my old mind.

Sorry for the OT.

Kind Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/