[Feature Request] Local coordinate system display for datum planes

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

[Feature Request] Local coordinate system display for datum planes

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

local coordinates used for datum plane positioning can be really confusing (especially for new users) as they are not aligned with global coordinates. It's particularly confusing when the plane is rotated. Thus, I'd like to suggest adding the display of a local coordinate system to datum plane visualization. Something like this, for instance:

datum csys.png
datum csys.png (14.66 KiB) Viewed 370 times

It could be displayed somewhere on the plane's edge or in the corner (the center is often covered by the model) during the creation/modification of the datum plane (and disappear once the datum plane definition window is closed).

What do you think about this ?

It was already discussed here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33360 but the discussion focused mainly on the implementation of PartDesign CoordinateSystem.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Local coordinate system display for datum planes

Post by drmacro »

This has been suggested and discussed for sketches and Datum planes sooooo many times.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

I've seen a request for sketches but this one is strictly for datum planes. And I assume that there was no conclusion from the previous discussions ? Sometimes it's good to revive them since there's a chance that someone will become interested in the implementation.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:49 am I've seen a request for sketches but this one is strictly for datum planes.
it's usually for for datum planes actually issue #6046, instead of creating a new topic for the same thing I suggest going back to one of those and asking again if there's someone interested in implementing, you can read the ideas that where said before and voice your support or counterarguments if you want to reignite discussion.

Personally I think this should be implemented as part of the attachment edit mode so that it's shown for all objects, making it exclusive to some particular object is a missed opportunity.
And I assume that there was no conclusion from the previous discussions ? Sometimes it's good to revive them since there's a chance that someone will become interested in the implementation.
Same conclusion as this one would have:
yes we want it...
who is willing to implement it?