Visual Programming with Dynamo atop Freecad API?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Visual Programming with Dynamo atop Freecad API?

Post by bitacovir »

::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
drei

Post by drei »

I must say it does look and feel nice / new to me since I've never used something similar.

If you clone the repo, be aware that we're duplicating Eigen libraries, since this project includes it as a dependency.

However, it is not as smooth in terms of graphics, it gets blurry when you move the 3D view and I managed to make it crash with a segementation fault for rotating the 3D view.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
sanzo

Post by sanzo »

Hi all,
I would like to add my 2 cents.

I'm currently using Dynamo at work, and It's a good and fast way not only to construct geometries, but also to interact with i.e. Excel, or reading CSV files outputted from other softwares.
It also has a custom Python script node, powered by IronPython, so you can easily interface your workflow with .NET API (but you still use pywin32 to connect to COM API like I do - I never liked .NET :) ). It's also easy to turn your python script and/or a group of nodes into a custom node that you can package and offer to the community. I found it less intimidating for not-so-skilled coders like me. Still colleagues with no coding skills/logic formation find it confusing at first.

Another great feature/package you can find in dynamo (optimo) and grasshopper (galapagos) is the genetic algorithm that allows you to find solutions to complex problems via automatic reiterations. It's been used In conjunction with energy analysis tools (i.e. radiance via a grasshopper plugin) to study the best form and placement for windows, shades and PV panels (or integrated semi transparent PV).
I imagine this could/will be done with FreeCAD Arch workbench, some kind of visual programming and some OpenStudio/EnergyPlus nodes.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Huh, this has been waiting for much to long for an answer... Tell him he should come here and make something like this on top of FreeCAD :)
sanzo

Post by sanzo »

looo wrote: I don't think an extern libary for nodes is needed. The work for the Gui and the connections is less thn the creation of the nodes. So I think it is better to use Qt/PySide for the Gui, and make the logic with python. Here is a picture of some freecad interaction :D :
Just to expand what looo wrote (and I think it's on the right track):

One of the great things about Dynamo is the Zero Touch plugin development: when you load a plugin, Dynamo automatically exposes all static methods as nodes. It uses the XML documentation format to populate the description and tooltip of a node.
Waaay better than write specific "node-code" as other projects do (and even the python script code in dynamo, that uses IN and OUT variables to get and pass values), IMHO.

As long as you don't need special UI nodes (i.e. preview or custom controls) the "FreeNamo" core could use introspection to get all the methods and docstrings from any python module you throw at it (think about already existing macros, if they meet the requirements).

Maybe we could also use qtnodes to avoid starting the UI part from scratch.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Another qt-based node system that looks good: https://github.com/paceholder/nodeeditor
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Maybe a GSOC proposal ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:29 pm Maybe a GSOC proposal ?
Yes, it's time to have a tool to edit network structures. There are a lot of good implementations which can be extended and reused.
nmt

Post by nmt »

I know I am replying to very old posts, but thought the original posters might be interested to know that we have implemented software on top of OpenCASCADE that runs in both Dynamo and Grasshopper. The software is called Topologic (https://topologic.app) and supports non-manifold topology and irregular boolean operations.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

Here is my work thread on PyFlow integration
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 99#p307491