Release discussion 0.15

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso

Re: Release discussion 0.15

Postby saso » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Personally I would wait. Having the development open for another two or three months would probably give enough time for some of the above mentioned features (and maybe some more) to get merged. It would also give time for more testing of the recently merged code. But I do agree with Werner, which is why, after the next two or three months of continued development, I would wait some more :) "freeze" the master for a month or two and focus on testing, stability, bug fixes, translation and general release preparation. Instead of freezing the master it could also be possible to make the 0.15 branch and cherrypick bug fixes...

One thing to think about is also if it makes sense to support XP after 0.15 release (not just the XP itself, there is less and less applications that are supporting it). It is nice that we are giving extended support for its users, but we and its users have to realize that at one point, continuing using and supporting it is just like putting more oil on to the fire. If 0.15 should be the last version, then releasing it a bit later will give this users a bit longer support and a bit more features.

Just some thoughts, generally I love the progress that is being done and I am ok with what ever you decide to do :)
jreinhardt

Postby jreinhardt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:02 pm

I find it really difficult to estimate how long it will take me to integrate BOLTS properly. I started with it, but it quickly became clear, that many of my design decisions were not so well suited for the use case "just download the newest part data". So I went back to the drawing board, and found more features that I would like to integrate, so this is again escalating quickly towards a bigger operation.

The difficult (and fun) part of BOLTS development is, that you have to accomodate many different requirements and use cases (for FreeCAD, for the Webpage, for OpenSCAD, ...). But at least I have the impression that I continue to understand the requirements and difficulties better and better.

so tl;dr: Don't know whether I can make it for 0.15, don't wait for me.
BOLTS, standard parts library for FreeCAD Thread, Help with Translation
Chris_G

Postby Chris_G » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi,
About some workbenches that are still WIP, what about including them with (EXPERIMENTAL) after their name in the WB drop-down menu. When strating them, you could even show a pop-up saying : "You are about to start an experimental workbench. It is recommended to save your work before continuing ... [Cancel] [Continue]"
And this Warning Pop-up could even be generic for any workbench marked as Experimental ?
This way, you could get bug reports from normal users. Or maybe get more contributors ?
Chris
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:13 pm

One more opinion.

I would vote for a release now. For two main reasons.
On Linux licensing issues are resolved with the move to Pyside vs PyQT
On Windows the current Libpack uses recent versions, especially OCC 6.7.1 (BOPChecks Yes :D )

For me this is reason enough. I would also mention global custom toolbars to the already mentioned feature enhancements.

I support saso's suggestion of a feature "freeze" during the preparation for a release (maybe just sooner).
Development need not stop as most is done on remote branches.

If it were me, and I understand it is not, I would sync the libraries/dependencies across platforms and start preparing a release.

If there is a backlog of pull requests after 15. then GREAT.
quick61 wrote:For the rest, there have been a lot of improvements and fixes come about and FreeCAD is more enjoyable to use than ever. Regardless or when 0.15 Release gets done, YOU ALL HAVE DONE, AND CONTINUE TO DO A GREAT JOB - THANK YOU!!!! Yes, I'm shouting it from the roof tops! :P
And +1 to that :D
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:24 am

wmayer wrote:IMO, a release should be made before merging new big stuff into FreeCAD as we don't know which impact it may have.
Hi Werner
I agree in principle, but what is big and what is not so big and how long do we test for I suppose becomes a matter of judgement. :)

What I was thinking is it depends if Juergen is going to merge Assembly immediately, or soon, after 0.15 release. Since this is potentially such a big invasive change, and possibly might make master more buggy for a while. I thought 0.15 release might be around for a while longer as the stable version hence we might want to have as many features as possible.

If Assembly will not merge until after 0.16 release, then I would suggest we release 0.15 as soon as possible and aim for 0.16 with any features that missed 0.15, in a few more months.

Jim
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:27 am

Trying to add this and that or maybe that too exactly led to the heavy delay of the last release. And actually the plan was to have 3-4 releases per year which means every 3-4 months a new version but 0.14 again is already older than 6 months. Anyway, I am already happy if we have two releases per year.

So, at a certain point we have to announce a "feature freeze" and then only fix bugs and update the translation. Period.
Any discussion about "couldn't we wait until this feature is finished" is fruitless IMO. So, if this feature is not ready we can add it to the next release. What's the problem?

So, what do you think about a feature freeze for end of January? Then after a test phase of a few weeks we can do the final release in end of February.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:02 am

wmayer wrote: So, at a certain point we have to announce a "feature freeze" and then only fix bugs and update the translation. Period.
Any discussion about "couldn't we wait until this feature is finished" is fruitless IMO. So, if this feature is not ready we can add it to the next release. What's the problem?

So, what do you think about a feature freeze for end of January? Then after a test phase of a few weeks we can do the final release in end of February.
Yes, I think that is a good idea, If we set a feature freeze date it will encourage us to get out this release and more regular future releases. Otherwise release date just keeps getting delayed.
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:23 pm

wmayer wrote:So, what do you think about a feature freeze for end of January? Then after a test phase of a few weeks we can do the final release in end of February.
Perfect!
bernd

Postby bernd » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:23 pm

yorik wrote:
wmayer wrote:So, what do you think about a feature freeze for end of January? Then after a test phase of a few weeks we can do the final release in end of February.
Perfect!
+1
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Here are a couple of issues:
Block: Crash: Is there any issue here or any of the issues marked as 'Major' in Mantis we must get fixed for the release?

Btw: From Monday on I will be off for two weeks.
Last edited by wmayer on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Update list