No launcher in application menu Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (normal?)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mancaveman

No launcher in application menu Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (normal?)

Post by mancaveman »

Hey folks

First time post here on this forum.

I like the smell of a clean new forum :-D

Anyways on to the issue... after compiling FreeCAD; I have noticed there is no launcher link from the "Applications" drop down or from the inside of the "Graphics" subfolder.

Is this normal? I mean even some of the most basic programs I have downloaded from Source Forge (SF) have a launcher Icon in the applications drop down.

Running Ubuntu LUCID 10.04 /latest most updated build blah blah blah / rtai (01/02/2011)

I am having post compile problems; solving them one at a time, hence the question is this normal over something is wrong!

cheers

Mancaveman
jriegel
Founder

Re: No launcher in application menu Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (normal?)

Post by jriegel »

Thats because our packages are made to run on all debian blends. So we have so far nothing to insert something in all the special window systems.
Although the official FreeCAD universe package does insert a launch icon...
Stop whining - start coding!
wmayer
Founder

Re: No launcher in application menu Ubuntu 10.4 LTS (normal?)

Post by wmayer »

Usually it's not the task of the "make install" command to create any entries to the application folder or shortcuts on the desktop because a source tarball should work on all Linux flavours and thus the paths where to put these files differ from Linux to Linux. So, creating any files and all this stuff clearly is part of the packaging. Since FreeCAD is part of the debian repos (and some other Linuxes too) it's the task of the package maintainer to make all the stuff beyound compiling to work.

But if you want you can create the .deb packages on your own. Therefore you can e.g. get the sources from SVN, do the configure and then run

Code: Select all

make debian-package
. If all needed packages are installed you'll get an installable .deb file under /tmp/freecadXXXX (XXXX is the curnt version number).